Adolph Westheimer Collection
Scope and Contents
Adolph Joseph Westheimer served in the US Army Air Corps during World War II in the Pacific Theater. The collection includes personal letters, government documents pertaining to his service, some postcards, tickets, papers with Japanese scripts, and Japanese artifacts. It also includes the oral history transcript of the Westheimer interview and manuscripts giving detailed descriptions and information on living conditions of Air Force members during the war in Japan. In addition, it includes the certificates of his physical conditions.
- Created: 1932-1999
- Other: 1944-1945
- Other: Date acquired: 08/01/1999
- Westheimer, Adolph, 1915-2009 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Adolph Joseph Westheimer served in the US Air Army Air Corps during World War II in both the 13th Service Group and the 386th Service Group with a serial number 38050027. Born in Houston, Texas on August 5, 1915, Westheimer spent his early life in San Francisco, CA and joined the United States Army Air Corps on November 19, 1940. Westheimer served in both World War II and the Korean War. During World War II, Westheimer participated in the battle of Iwo Jima and remained there until the end of the war. During the Korean War, he was stationed about seventeen miles from Tokyo, Japan. He was married to Jenna Rose Westheimer. Adolph passed away on December 14, 2009, in Houston, TX.
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
- Iwo Jima, Battle of, Japan, 1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Japan--History, Business Subject Source: Local sources
- Japan--History, Military Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Korean War, 1950-1953 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Shiseidō (Tokyo, Japan)
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Service Group, 13th
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Service Group, 386th
- World War, 1939-1945--Aerial operations, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Japan Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Adolph Westheimer Collection
- Huaqing Shi
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US