Edward M. Tidball Civil War Papers
Scope and Contents
Photocopies of the papers of Edward M. Tidball include letters sent to him from the U.S. Navy Dept., Bureau of Ordnance & Hydrography, Washington, D.C. granting leaves of absence as a clerk in August 1859 & July 1860; a letter accepting his resignation March 6, 1861; letters from S.R. Mallory, Secretary of the Confederate Navy, appointing him as Chief Clerk March 13, 1861 & April 30, 1862; receipt from Tidball for sale of his property March 15, 1865; the U.S. Presidential Proclamation of Amnesty & Pardon, May 29, 1865; a letter of August 29, 1865 from U.S. President Andrew Johnson granting Tidball full pardon for having taken part in the rebellion against the U.S.; and a photograph of Edward M. Tidball.
Also known as MSS 0-245.
- Created: 1859-1865
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Edward M. Tidball was a clerk at the U.S. Bureau of Ordnance and Hydrography, Navy Dept., Washington D.C. until his resignation March 6, 1861, and was then appointed Chief Clerk at the Confederate States of America, Navy Dept., Montgomery, Ala. March 13, 1861.
9.00 items (1 folder)
0 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Gift of Colonel William Morrison Robinson Jr., Quincy, FL
Existence and Location of Originals
This collection comprises photocopies of original documents in possession of the donor.
Processed May 1965.
- Amnesty Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Confederate States of America
- Confederate States of America. Navy.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Johnson, Andrew, 1808-1875
- Mallory, Stephen R. (Stephen Russell), 1813-1873
- Pardon Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tidball, Edward M.
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Navy
- Edward M. Tidball Civil War Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note