Reubin O'Donovan Askew papers
Scope and Contents
This collection centers around one Florida State Guard soldier, and an American soldier stationed at the Technical School and Basic Training Center for the Air Force in Gulfport Field, Mississippi. The collection includes a child's drawing, two letters written to the soldier's mother outlining Air Force training and daily life, a newspaper clipping written about the Florida State Guard drills, a letter about D-Day, and photographs of a B-26 Marauder, an American flight crew, an American and Russian soldier, and Yontan Airfield in Okinawa, and their corresponding modern negatives.
- Created: 1943-1946
- Other: Date acquired: 09/28/2001
- Askew, Reubin O'D., 1928-2014 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Reubin Askew was born in Oklahoma on September 11, 1928. He joined the Florida State Guard in 1944, lying about his age of 15 to enlist. He later attended Florida State University, earning a degree in Public Administration in 1951, and then served in the U.S. Air Force until 1953. He served as the Governor of Florida from 1970-1979.
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
- Askew, Reubin O'D., 1928-2014
- B-26 Marauder (Bomber) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida. Governor (1971-1979: Askew) Subject Source: Local sources
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--France--Normandy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reubin O'Donovan Askew papers
- Jill Szaroleta
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note