Van Brunt business records
Scope and Contents
The Van Brunt records contain 16 journals, ledgers, "cotton seed books," two tenant farmer agreement contracts, a typed letter by Mr. Clifton Paisley to Mr. N. Orwin Rush, dated August 17, 1969, and a seven-page typescript of Mr. Paisley's interview on July 5, 1969, with a daugher of Mr. Van Brunt, Mrs. Jack Gregory, of Quincy, Florida. The business records, besides reflecting the economic conditions of the era and the customary manner of conducting a merchandising and tenant farming business, has considerable genealogical value.
- Created: 1902-1911
- Other: Date acquired: 08/07/1969
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Mr. R. F. Van Brunt, Iamonia, Leon County, Florida, owner of the ancestoral Van Brunt plantation located east of "Tall Timbers Plantation," the Beadel place. Mr. Van Brunt also owned a general merchandise store at Iamonia from about 1902 to 1911 when he sold the store and moved to Miccosukee, Leon County, Florida. He operated another general merchandise store there and was postmaster until a rural route was established in 1908-1909.
Mr. Van Brunt was born at the family plantation home at Iamonia in 1862. He died December 1914 and was buried on the Van Brunt plantation at Iamonia.
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Gift of Mr. Clifton Paisley
Processed December 1969
- Account books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cotton Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Leon County (FL)--History Subject Source: Local sources
- Merchants--Florida. Subject Source: Local sources
- Van Brunt business records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note