James R. Green papers
Scope and Contents
This collection relates to James R. Green, a private. The collection contains an official spiral-bound photo album chronicling the installation of military motor vehicle assembly plants in Algiers by American soldiers, then transferred to the French. Also included is a letter summarizing the contents of the book and multiple copies of a commendation Private Green received for his work in Algiers from the French Army in thanks for his service with Company F, 2nd Battalion of the 302nd Ordnance Assembly Group.
- Other: Date acquired: 10/16/2017
- Other: Date accessioned: 2020-05-27
- Green, James R. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Almost no information is provided about Private James Green himself, but the included photograph book chronicles the process by which in April 1943 the American ordnance department in the Mediterranean theatre was charged with organizing and operating French assembly facilities in the city of Algiers until the French were qualified to take over themselves, which they did in Fall 1943. Once it was running, the GMC assembly plant was capable of assembling at its peak 7,000 vehicles in less than a month, and even 776 vehicles in a single day. By the end of 1943, it was the most efficient GMC plant in Africa.
Language of Materials
This collection was donated by James D. Sewell. The collection was acquired by the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience on October 16, 2017.
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
- France libre
- France. Office colonial
- French--Algeria--History--20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- General Motors Corporation
- Operation Torch, 1942 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. Ordnance Department
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Engineering and construction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Equipment and supplies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Transportation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- James R. Green papers
- Mallory McGovern
- May 27, 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description