Scope and Contents
The Walker Papers, dating 1745 to 1938, cover the careers of both George Keith Walker and Major George Wythe Walker. Among those pertaining directly to Major George Wythe Walker is a certificate showing that he was appointed by Governor Francis P. Fleming to be Major of the Eighth Regiment of the enrolled Militia of the State of Florida, and thirteen certificates of appointment as State Attorney for the Second Judicial Circuit of the State of Florida and signed by the ten governors of Florida under whom he served.
- created: 1745-1938
- Other: Date acquired: 11/06/1964
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
George Keith Walker was engaged in real estate and/or land investment as partner with his cousin, Richard Keith Call. George Keith Walker died August 1866, no birth date known.
Major George Wythe Walker, attorney admitted to the Florida Bar in 1881, Major of Florida Militia, 1889. Appointed State Attorney in 1891 and thereafter until 1929,and was also engaged in real estate and/or land investment business. Born October 16, 1858, no death date known.
0.75 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Purchased from Lee Spence
Processed April 1965.
- American Legion. Auxiliary (Organization)
- Apalachicola Land Company (Organization)
- Bloxham, William Dunnington, 1835-1911 (Person)
- Carlton, Doyle Elam, 1885-1972 (Person)
- Catts, Sidney Johnston, 1863-1936 (Person)
- Fleming, Francis P. (Francis Philip), 1841-1908 (Person)
- Gilchrist, Albert Waller, 1858-1926 (Person)
- Hardee, Cary Augustus, 1876-1957 (Person)
- Levy, Richard (Person)
- Meginnis, George (Person)
- Mitchell, Henry L., approximately 1820-1893 (Person)
Genre / Form
- Alligator Harbor (Fla.)
- Apalachee Bay (Fla.)
- Franklin County (Fla.)
- Gadsden County (Fla.)
- Leon County (Fla.)
- Liberty County (Fla.)
- Mexico, Gulf of
- Quincy (Fla.)
- Saint Theresa (Fla.)
- Walker papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note