Mary Bates Letters
Scope and Contents
Two letters written by Mary Bates of Tallahassee, Florida. Transcriptions are included with each original letter. One letter is written from Dudley, Massachusetts. Both letters are addressed to a Charles Dana, Jr. of Woodstock, Vermont.
In one letter, dated April 11, 1845, Bates gives a vivid description of a sea voyage from New York via Nassau to Florida. According to the letter, during the course of the voyage a leak was discovered in the ship and at the same time hay (a large portion of the cargo) caught fire, so for some days all aboard were in serious peril. This letter also gives a good description of what she called "Warchulla" Springs (Wakulla Springs) in Wakulla County near Tallahassee.
- Created: 1845
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright has not been transferred to the Florida State University Libraries. All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Mary Bates was in charge of a school for girls in Tallahassee in the early 1840s. She was originally from New England.
1.00 folders (1 folder)
0.00 Linear Feet (0 linear feet)
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
Purchased from Symmachus Trading Co. of Boston, Massachusettes in 1950 and 1951. (No record of amount paid for first items, but the last item was purchased for $3.50)
Processed Janurary 29, 1964.
- Bates, Mary
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dana, Charles, Jr.
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Leon County (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tallahassee (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tallahassee (Fla.)--Social conditions Subject Source: Local sources
- Tallahassee (Fla.)--Social life and customs Subject Source: Local sources
- Wakulla Springs (Fla.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Mary Bates Letters
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description