Robert S. McClelland collection
Scope and Contents
This collection relates to Robert S. McClelland who served as U.S. Navy liaison with the 7th U.S. Army during World War II. The materials in the Robert S. McClelland collection consist of eleven original photographs covering the liberation of a German concentration camp, a crematorium, photographs of the German town of Gmünd, and a photocopy of Robert S. McClelland's U.S. Naval record. The items in the collection include badges, buttons, an armband, a silver spoon, and haberdashery all relating to different Nazi party groups such as the Deutscher Volkssturm Wehrmacht, the National Socialist People’s Welfare, the Women's Reicharbeitdienst and the Nazi party in general.
- Other: Majority of material found within 1945
- Other: Date acquired: 2005-05-06
- Other: Date accessioned: 2020-05-27
- McClelland, Robert S. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Robert S. McClelland (May 19, 1915-April 4, 1996) was a Deck Officer in the U.S. Navy from March 1943 to December 1945. He served in Landing Craft Infantry 490 and the U.S. 7th Army both stateside at the Amphibious Base in Little Creek, Virginia as well as in the European theater on Normandy Beach for D-Day. The U.S. 7th Army was the lead in Operation Undertone. He received the American Theater Ribbon, European Theater Ribbon (2 stars), and the Victory Ribbon. He was discharged from the Navy on December 15, 1945.
Language of Materials
This collection was donated by Michael "Mac" McClelland, son of Robert S. McClelland. The collection was acquired by the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience on May 6, 2005.
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
- United States. Army. Army, 7th
- United States. Army. European Theater of Operations
- United States. Navy--Amphibious operations Subject Source: Local sources
- United States. Navy--History--20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--France--Normandy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Concentration camps Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Robert S. McClelland collection
- Mallory McGovern
- May 27, 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description