Raphael "Ray" Edward Cavanaugh collection
Scope and Contents
This collection is related to Raphael "Ray" Edward Cavanaugh, a World War II U.S. Marine. The colelction includes one Japanese World War II flag signed by men from his unit, which was the 1st Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd U.S. Marine Division. In addition the collection contains a U.S. Marine Corps ID Card; 1 uniform lanyard (Croix de Guerre); 1 metal ribbon bar; 1 sharpshooter medal; a 4th Marine Division patch; a 2nd Marine Division patch; 5 pieces of Japanese currency; 2 ration coupon booklets; and one picture of Raphael "Ray" Edward Cavanaugh himself in uniform.
- Other: Date acquired: 10/14/2016
- Cavanaugh, Raphael "Ray" Edward (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Raphael "Ray" Edward Cavanaugh served in World War II with the 1st Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd U.S. Marine Division. This unit served in the battles of Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Saipan, Tinian, and Okinawa. Cavanaugh's active duty began August 25, 1943, and he was discharged January 14, 1946. The 6th Marine Regiment was also one of the first units to enter Nagasaki, Japan after the War ended.
Language of Materials
This collection was donated by Tom Cavanaugh. The collection was acquired by the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience on October 14, 2016.
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
- Camp Lejeune (N.C.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Camp Lejeune (N.C.)--History--20th century. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marine Corps Base Quantico (Va.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Nagasaki-shi (Japan) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- United States. Marine Corps
- United States. Marine Corps--Military life Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Marine Corps. Marine Regiment, 6th--History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Marine Corps. Marine Regiment, 6th. Battalion, 1st. Subject Source: Lcnaf
- United States. Marine Corps. Marines, 1/6th Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Japan--Nagasaki-shi Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Raphael "Ray" Edward Cavanaugh collection
- Christina G. Armes
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US