American Association of University Women (Tallahassee Chapter) Records
Scope and Contents
Includes the constitution and history of the Tallahassee Branch of the American Association of University Women, annual reports, committee files, general correspondence, membership files, president's files, scrapbooks, photographs, yearbooks, and other memorabilia.
The Activities Files cover such topics as the Creative Arts and Modern and Tap Dance contests; the Administrative Files include the history and constitution; Committee Files include files of the ByLaws, Creative Arts, Education, and Hospitality Committees, among others; Memorabilia consists of awards of merit, scrapbooks, and enclosures; Photographs includes photos of AAUW members; and President's files include the files of Barbara Drainer and Mrs. Robert Miller.
- Created: 1923-1972
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright has not been transferred to the Florida State University Libraries. All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
The American Association of University Women (AAUW) is a national organization that promotes education and equity for all women and girls. The Tallahassee branch of AAUW was organized in December 1923 chiefly through the efforts of a group of faculty at the Florida State College for Women (FSCW). The organization's founding was also encouraged by Dr. May L. Keller, Director of the South Atlantic Section, Dr. Mina Kerr, Executive Secretary of the National AAUW in Washington, and Dr. Cleo Hearon, of Agnes Scott College.
2.20 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Annual reports, committee files, correspondence, membership files, president's files, scrapbooks, photographs, yearbooks, and memorabilia.
Most series are arranged alphabetically.
Method of Acquisition
Cannot be determined.
Existence and Location of Originals
Portions of collection available online?: No
Originally processed in September 1990. Finding aid updated in October 2007.
- American Association of University Women
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drainer, Barbara
- Financial Records Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Hanna, Katherine Trimmer Abbey, 1895-
- Hearon, Cleo
- Keller, May L.
- Kerr, Mina
- Liddell, Anna Forbes, 1891-1979
- Minutes Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sandels, Margaret Rector, 1888-1973
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Shores, Venila Lovina
- Tallahassee (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- American Association of University Women (Tallahassee Chapter) Records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US