Florida State University Coastal and Marine Laboratory Files
This collection includes correspondence, blueprints, cruise information, boat registration, research statistics, maps and photographs related to the Florida State University Coastal and Marine Laboratory.
- Created: 1960-2011
- Created: Majority of material found in 1964-1966
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
To request permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from the archives, please contact Heritage & University Archives, Florida State University Libraries, Tallahassee, Florida. Researchers must obtain separate permission from the copyright holders of material held within University Archives collections for which the institution does not hold copyright.
Biographical or Historical Information
The marine laboratory was first started as The Oceanographic Institute of Florida State University from 1949 and was located at Alligator Harbor, now Alligator Point. This facility included classrooms, research cubicles, tanks for animals, a dock, a boathouse, and faculty residence buildings in addition to the laboratory. In 1966, then Director of the Oceanographic Institute, Carl Oppenhiemer, closed the facility in favor of starting the Department of Oceanography in the College of Arts and Sciences.
A new facility was built for the new department on land donated to the university by Edward Ball and was named the Edward Ball Marine Laboratory in honor of the donation. The new facility is located just west of the site of the Oceanographic Institute and had a larger research building than the Oceanographic Institute, along with new amenities. In 2006, the laboratory’s name changed again to the FSU Coastal and Marine Laboratory. The laboratory is more commonly referred to as the Marine Lab, the FSUML, or the FSUCML, short of the Florida State University Coastal and Marine Laboratory.
1.60 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
Series 1: Dr. Nancy Marcus, FSU Dean of Graduate Studies and Mary Sears Professor of Oceanography, donated these files from the FSU Coastal and Marine Laboratory.
Series 2: This material was donated by the FSU Coastal and Marine Laboratory in 2016. It was accessioned under HPUA 2016-014.
Series 1: These files came in a pre-established alpha-numerical order. Despite being what seems to be only a fraction of a larger collection, the files have been kept in their original order. Any indication or reasoning behind this filing system has yet to be found. The few items that did not have alpha-numerical labels were foldered and put in at the beginning of the collection. The majority of the files include boat registrations/permits, correspondence, memorandums, cruise information, ship logs, maintenance logs, maps, notes, regulations, pictures and blueprints.
Series 2: Series 2 is an addendum to the original Coastal and Marine Laboratory Files Collection added in 2018. This series contains photographs of the laboratory, wildlife, events, and field work, graphic designs, and an article on the Coastal and Marine Laboratory. The addendum was accessioned as HPUA 2016-014.
All of the items in series 1 were refoldered due to mold and/or water damage.
- Ball, Edward
- Collier, Albert, 1910-
- Florida State University Libraries. Heritage & University Archives Subject Source: Lctgm
- Marcus, Nancy H.
- Oceanographic Institute of Florida State University Subject Source: Local sources
- Oceanography. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oppenheimer, Carl, 1874-1941
- Florida State University Coastal and Marine Laboratory Files
- Jeffrey Baumiller, Reprocessed by Paige Downey, February 19, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description