Dr. Earl R. Beck Papers
Scope and Contents
Contains both holograph and typescripts of Beck's work, Under the Bombs: The German Home Front, 1942-1945. The papers also include a couple of maps, a 1987 essay exam, articles and newsclippings, research notes on various subjects, and many publications by others. This last area is especially strong in works by German authors including a handful by Schonemann. Collection includes MSS 92-21.
- Created: 1918-1986
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright has not been transferred to the Florida State University Libraries. All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Dr. Earl R. Beck was born in 1916. He received his Ph.D. at Ohio State University and began teaching history at Florida State University in 1949. He was Assistant Professor in the history department from 1949-1952, Associate Professor from 1952-1960, and department chairman from 1962-1972. Dr. Beck died on October 30, 2002.
His publications include Verdict On Schacht (1955), Death of the Prussian Republic (1959), On Teaching History in Colleges and Universities (1966), Germany Rediscovers America (1968), and A Time of Triumph and Sorrow: Spanish Politics During the Reign of Alfonso XII, 1874-1875 (1979). In his book Under the Bombs (1986), Beck, a veteran of World War II, describes the German home front and its people from 1942 to 1946. Manuscripts prepared for this publication comprise this collection.
3.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Earl R. Beck
Method of Acquisition
- Beck, Earl R. (Earl Ray), 1916-
- Bombardment--Germany Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Germany--History--1933-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Maps Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Germany Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dr. Earl R. Beck Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US