Oath of Allegiance and Parole of Honor of Confederate Veterans
Scope and Contents
Photostats of an Oath of Allegiance and of the Parole of Honor of two Confederate Veterans, Alabama and Tennessee (1862, 1865). The three Confederate documents are:
1. Photostat of printed form filled out in manuscript. Parole of Honor of James K. Stephens, Home at Greenville, Alabama, prisoner of war, belonging to the Army of the Department of Alabama, Mississippi and East Louisiana, having surrendered by order of Lt. Wm. R. Taylor, C.S.A. Aproved May 10, 1865 by W.H. Jackson, Brig. Gen. C.S.A., and E.S. Dennis, Brig. Gen. C.S.A., Commanders.
2. Photostat of Manuscript. Oath of Allegiance by Capt. J.D. Wheeler, County of Wilson, State of Tennessee. Attested by Edward H. East by order of Brig. Gen. Andrew Jackson, May 28, 1862; signed by J.D. Wheeler.
3. Photostat of Manuscript of Parole of Honor of Capt. Wheeler, Company 2nd Tenn. Cavalry. Signed by D. Lee I. Britten, Brig. Gen. Commanding. Headquarters 1st Brigade, Chattanooga, May 15, 1862.
Also known as MSS 0-77.
- Created: 1862-1865
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
3.00 items (1 Folder)
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
Gift of Florida Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy, Fenton Davis Avant, Historian, Tallahassee, Florida.
Existence and Location of Originals
Portions of collection available online?: No
Processed January 1965.
- Allegiance--Confederate States of America Subject Source: Local sources
- Confederate States of America
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Manuscripts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oaths--Confederate States of America Subject Source: Local sources
- Photocopying. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stephens, James K.
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Veterans--Confederate States of America. Subject Source: Local sources
- Wheeler, J. D.
- Oath of Allegiance and Parole of Honor of Confederate Veterans
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note