Governor Thomas Brown Letter
Scope and Contents
Manuscript letter by Governor Thomas Brown, Executive Department of Florida, Tallahassee, Florida, January 31, 1853, to Captain Wm. B. Cone. Cone was a former member of Legislature from Camden County, Georgia, but at the time of Brown's letter was a Captain of a Company of Calvary in the State of Georgia.
The letter was in reply to Captain Cone's letters of January 21 and 24, 1853, in which Captain Cone had offered him the service of "a Company of Calvary in the event of Indian hostilities." Governor Brown's explanations as the reasons why he was unable to accept Captain Cone's offer affords a picture of political and military affairs of that period. The letter was written at the moment when efforts were being made to remove Indians from Florida.
Also known as MSS 0-36.
- Created: January 31, 1853
- Other: Date acquired: 11/04/1938
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Thomas Brown, born in 1785, was originally from Virginia, and was a former member of the Legislature of that state. In Territorial Florida, he held the offices of Adjutant-General of the militia, Auditor of Public Accounts, member of the Legislative Council on various occasions, Speaker of the House of Representatives, and was one of the most prominent members of the St. Joseph Convention. He was elected governor of Florida and served from 1848-1853. Governor Brown died on August 24, 1867 in Tallahassee, Florida.
0.00 Linear Feet (0 linear feet)
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Gift of Miss MaCoue
Existence and Location of Originals
Portions of collection available online?: No
Processed June 22, 1964.
- Brown, Thomas, 1785-1867
- Cone, William B.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida--History--1821-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida--Politics and government--1821-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indians of North America--Florida--History Subject Source: Local sources
- Manuscripts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Governor Thomas Brown Letter
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US