Chandler Holmes Smith Papers
Collection — Box: 157
Identifier: MSS 1964-231
Scope and Contents
Business records and correspondence of Colonel Chandler Holmes Smith, including: personal letters from his wife, children and other relatives; applications addressed to Colonel Smith as Trustee of the Florida State Agricultural College by Lancelot W. Andrews, Ph. D., Cambridge, Mass., for "professorship in chemistry," and by H. N. Felkel, Tallahassee, Florida, "for the chair of English Literature and Elocution"; letters from W. N. Gordon and Co., Cotton Factors and Commission Merchants, Savannah, Ga., Warren and Axson, Commission Merchants, Savannah, Fred H. Hill, Wholesale Grocer, Savannah, Banking House of A. P. Wright and Co., Thomasville, Ga., M. J. Boughton, S. A. Pattison, Daniel Aborr Smith, Stephen S. Smith, and from Louisville and Nashville Railroad Company. Includes material previously described as MSS 1-21.
- Created: 1844-1886
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
0 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
First accession loaned by Alexander Holmes Smith with permission to duplicate. A later accession was received from Mrs. Gertrude Wildner
MSS 1-21: Processed August 1979
- Antebellum Florida, 1845-1861 Subject Source: Local sources
- Boughton, James M.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cotton Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Financial Records Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Louisville and Nashville Railroad Company
- Photocopying. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Smith, Chandler Holmes, Colonel
- Chandler Holmes Smith Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note