Tom Campbell Civil War letters
Scope and Contents
The Civil War letters by Tom Campbell to Miss H.V. (Hennie) Wood of Cool Well, Virginia, are original holograph letters sent between 1861 and 1862. Each letter is accompanied by a typed transcript of the letter as well as a transparent envelope in which the letters had been stored.
Locations in Virginia represented in the letters include Lynchburg, Charlotteville, Camp Jefferson, Camp Henry, Culpepper, Camp Taylor (Orange County), Camp near Yorktown, near Chickahomany River, Camp near Richmont, "Battlefield," and Wynder Hospital.
Other items included in the collection are 19 pages of holograph notes relating to the Civil War, one post card sent from Yokohama, Japan on Sept. 21, 1904 by Whitfield Brockman to Mrs. Thomas Campbell c/o Rev. T.H. Campbell of Louise, Virginia; a biography of "cousin Fletcher Brockman," and an invitation to the marriage of David Ingram Pusser and Sarah Anna Moody.
Also known as MSS 0-45.
Select materials from the Tom Campbell Civil War letters have been digitized and are available through the FSU Digital Library.
- Created: 1861-1862
- Other: Date acquired: 02/01/1971
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
1.00 boxes (1 box)
0.45 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Gift of Dr. Thomas M. Campbell
Existence and Location of Originals
Portions of collection available online?: No
Processed April, 1971. Figures for numbers of items and pieces do not include 18 envelopes with stamps which were removed from the papers after they were turned over to Special Collections.
- Bull Run, 1st Battle of, Va., 1861 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Campbell, Tom
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Manuscripts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers--Virginia. Subject Source: Local sources
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wood, H. V. (Hennie)
- Tom Campbell Civil War letters
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US