General orders - Civil War
Scope and Contents
General Order, Nos. 4, 6, and 7. Adjutant and Inspector General's Office, Richmond, February 8, 14, and 16, 1865. A typed card attached to the documents reads: "There were eleven of this set of General Orders issued between January 6 - March 18, 1865. We have only Nos. 4, 6, and 7, shown here. Property of the FSU Library."
The three items are separate orders as listed below:
1. General Orders, No. 4. "An Act to regulate the Destruction of Property under military necessity and to provide for the Indemnity thereof." Signed by S. Cooper, Adjutant and Inspector General.
2. General Orders, No. 6. This item consists of four separate orders under one heading. I. "The Inspector General of Field Transportation is authorized to receive from citizens small animals suitable for public service..." II. "Brigadier General Gideon J. Pillow is constituted Commissary General of Prisoners, and will enter at once upon his duties..." II. "In the impressment of labor for twelve months, under the act of congress approved February 17, 1864, all slaves hired in government shops and yards..." IV. "Mechanics, artisans, etc. of the Ordnance Department, employed at the various armories, arsenals and depots, as shown by the monthly rolls of hired men on the 31st of December 1864, will not be interfered with by enrolling officers..." Signed by S. Cooper, Adjutant and Inspector General.
3. General Orders, No. 7. "An act to amend the Act to provide an Invalid Corp., approved February 17, 1864." This General Order consists of Section 1, Section 2, and then divided into sections: II. "Disabled officers of the army..." III. "The board, which will be composed of three medical officers..." and IV. "Meritorious disabled officers will be reappointed to their former rank..."
Also known as MSS 0-69.
- Other: Majority of material found in 1865
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright owned by Florida State University
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
3.00 items (1 Folder)
Language of Materials
Existence and Location of Originals
Portions of collection available online?: No
Processed July, 1965.
- Confederate States of America Army--Regulations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cooper, Samuel, 1798-1876
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- General orders - Civil War
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US