Lieutenant Benson's Survey- Lake Okechobee and rivers and lakes north of it
Scope and Contents
Photostatic copy of an eight-page manuscript report of a survey made by Lieutenant H. Benson, 2nd Artillery, Ft, Myers, Lee County, Florida, dated June 7, 1855 to Col. H. Brown, Commanding Officer of the troops on the Caloosahatchee, Florida.
Places mentioned in the report as having been surveyed are: Fort Center (which he left on April 12, 1855 with a detachment compsed pf one officer, two non-commissioned officers and twelve privates), Fish-eating creek, Lake Okeechobee, Kissimmee River, Fort Rasinger, Fort Ressinner, Lake Kissimmee, Straits connecting lakes, Lake Cypress, Fort Gardner, Lake Gentry, Lake Thopkaliga, Fort McRae and Fort Deynaud.
Lieutenant Benson's survey and report included areas surrounding the places mentioned. He gave depth and current of lakes, straits, rivers and streams; described land, type of vegetation, etc.; reported sites of, and for, military encampments, signs of Indian campfires and of the presence of Indians- which he stated was observed all the way up to Cypress Lake.
- Created: June 7, 1855
- Other: Date acquired: 04/22/1954
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Purchased from National Archives, Record Group No. 98
Processed August 3, 1964.
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida--Geography Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fort Center Site (Fla.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Kissimmee River (Fla.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Kissimmee, Lake (Fla.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Okeechobee, Lake (Fla.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Lieutenant Benson's Survey- Lake Okechobee and rivers and lakes north of it
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description