Skip to main content

Faculty and Friends Club Papers

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: 00-MSS 1989-087

Scope and Contents

The Faculty and Friends Club Papers contain activities files, constitution and by-laws, history, business records, minutes, voting records, woman of the year nominations, surveys, programs, newsletters, pictures, announcements, invitations, president's notebooks, scrapbooks, important club papers in the 2000-2001 scrapbook, and yearbooks documenting the operations of the Faculty and Friends Club and its predecessor organizations. Each series is arranged chronologically.

Dates

  • Created: 1926-2005

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open to all researchers.

Conditions Governing Use

To request permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from the archives, please contact Heritage & University Archives, Florida State University Libraries, Tallahassee, Florida. Researchers must obtain separate permission from the copyright holders of material held within University Archives collections for which the institution does not hold copyright.

Biographical or Historical Information

The Faculty and Friends Club was a social organization that started in 1926 under the name of "The College Dames of Florida State College for Women," and included faculty wives. Between 1945 and 1947 its name was changed to the "Faculty Wives Club of Florida State College for Women." In 1947 when the University became coeducational and the name of the school was changed to Florida State University, the club's name was also changed to the Faculty Wives of Florida State University. Another name change occurred in 1954 when the club became known as the "University Wives Club," which now included wives of university staff. By 1956, the club became a well-organized social group with elected officers, an executive board, an executive committee, and seven interest groups. In 1962, the name was changed to the "University Women's Club." As a result of these changes, the club's constitution was updated several times.

In 1984, the club became "The University Club" of Florida State University, in which men could now become paying, working, and voting members. The constitution of the club was amended in April 1996 to state that "friends who support the aims and activities of the University Club are eligible to become members." To avoid confusion with the newly-created University Center Club, University Club members voted at its 2003 Annual Meeting to change the name of the club to the Faculty and Friends Club. Its purpose is to create a social environment in which faculty and administrative staff, professional staff, and retirees of the entire university and their families can meet to exchange ideas and friendship.

Extent

8.00 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Activities files, business records, minutes, notebooks, scrapbooks, and yearbooks documenting the operations of the Faculty and Friends Club and its predecessor organizations

Method of Acquisition

The Faculty and Friends Club Papers were given as two separate accessions in 1989 and 2001. The first accession was given by Barbara Roady and Jane Waggaman, and the club scrapbooks were given by Marietta Schroeder, the club president, in July 2001.

Processing Information

The first accession, MSS 1989-007, was processed in January 1986 and July 1987. Materials to this collection continue to be added on a regular basis.
Title
Faculty and Friends Club Papers
Author
Delia Tam
Date
00/00/2003
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
eng

Repository Details

Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository

Contact:
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US
850-644-3271