Albert Waller Gilchrist Papers
Collection — Box: 148
Identifier: 01-MSS 1964-125
Scope and Contents
The Gilchrist Papers are comprised of the official papers of Albert Waller Gilchrist, 20th Governor of Florida, as well as newspaper articles, military and state official documents, items pertaining to the naming of Gilchrist County, materials regarding educational institutions including Carolina Military Institute and West Point, personal correspondence, genealogical research, and papers pertaining to Gilchrist's estate and will.
Also known as MSS 0-125.
Also known as MSS 0-125.
- Created: 1876-1929
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Albert W. Gilchrist was born in Greenwood, South Carolina, on January 15, 1858, the son of General William E. and Rhoda Elizabeth (Waller) Gilchrist. He attended the Carolina Military Institute in Charlotte, North Carolina from 1876 to 1878, was a graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, and became a Brigadier General in the Florida militia. In 1898, during the Spanish-American War, he joined the regular army and achieved the rank of captain; he served until 1899 when he left the service and returned to Florida politics. Gilchrist was a member of the Florida House of Representatives from 1893 until 1905. In 1909, Gilchrist became the twentieth Governor of Florida and served until 1913. He died on May 15, 1926 in New York.
Method of Acquisition
Brought to library by Vernon Peeples, Punta Gorda, Florida, with permission to photocopy by the owner, Mrs. Hunter A. Gibbes, Columbia, S.C., one of the heirs-at-law of Gilchrist.
Existence and Location of Originals
Portions of collection available online?: No
Processed June 29, 1964.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida--Politics and government--1865-1950 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida. Governor
- Florida. Governor (1909-1913 : Gilchrist) Subject Source: Local sources
- Genealogy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gilchrist County (Fla.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Gilchrist, Albert Waller, 1858-1926
- Legal documents. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspapers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photocopying. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Slavery Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Albert Waller Gilchrist Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description