Bird and Ulmer Papers
Scope and Contents
The Bird and Ulmer papers consist of photocopies of correspondence, land deeds, tax papers, political and other speeches, resolutions, and papers pertaining to church, lodges, last will, accounts of executors of estates, reports of estate, division of land, and division of slaves with values assigned. These papers pertain chiefly to the plantations of Bunker Hill, Nacossa, and Freelawn, which flourished before the Civil War. The majority of the papers are dated from the 1850s through the late 1800s, although a handful are from the 1920s.
Also known as MSS 0-20.
- Created: 1851-1922
- Other: Date acquired: 10/30/1964
- Bird Family (Family)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright has not been transferred to the Florida State University Libraries Use of this collection is provided for non-commercial, personal, educational, and research use only. All other use, including but not limited to commercial or scholarly reproductions, redistribution, publication, websites, exhibitions, broadcasts, or other transmission, whether by electronic means or otherwise, without prior written permission of the copyright holder is strictly prohibited. For information about the copyright and reproduction rights for this item, please contact Special Collections & Archives, Florida State University Libraries, Tallahassee, Florida.
Biographical or Historical Information
The Bird and Ulmer families lived in Jefferson County, Florida and were plantation owners and officers in the Seminole and Civil Wars. The Birds, including Daniel B. Bird and Major Pickens B. Bird, were natives of Florida. Paul Ulmer, a native of North Carolina, his brother Julius, and sister, Sara, came to Florida in 1824 and married and settled in Jefferson County at and near Monticello where their descendants still reside.
0.00 Linear Feet (0 linear feet)
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Dr. William W. Rogers, Professor of History at Florida State University
Method of Acquisition
Reproduced from originals by permission of Mrs. Daniel B. Bird, Monticello, Florida.
Processed May 1965.
- Bailey, Abraham
- Bunker Hill Plantation (Jefferson County, Fla.)
- Deeds Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Financial Records Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Freelawn Plantation (Jefferson County, Fla.)
- Jefferson County (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jefferson County (Fla.)--History Subject Source: Local sources
- Nacossa Plantation (Jefferson County, Fla.)
- Plantation owners--Florida--Jefferson County Subject Source: Local sources
- Plantations--Florida Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Plantations--Southern States Subject Source: Local sources
- Slavery--Florida--Jefferson County Subject Source: Local sources
- Speeches, addresses, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bird and Ulmer Papers
- Burt Altman
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description