B. F. Hammond Civil War Letters
Scope and Contents
Photostats of the Civil War letters by B.F. Hammond written during 1863 and 1864 from various camps in Virginia to members of his family in South Carolina. All letters were written on battlefields and contain vivid descriptions of "the bloody struggle." Also known as MSS 0-135.
- Created: 1863-1864
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
B.F. Hammond was according to his own words, "a soldier in Maj.-Gen. Purcey's Division, A.P. Hill's Corps, Va." As can be seen in the letters themselves, he was a soldier who served in various camps in Virginia and had family members in South Carolina.
Language of Materials
Processed February 1965
- Confederate States of America
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Hammond, B. F.
- Letters Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photocopying. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers--Virginia. Subject Source: Local sources
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Personal narratives, Confederate Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- B. F. Hammond Civil War Letters
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US