Henry Bohlen Confederate Letters
Scope and Contents
The collection donated by Henry Bohlen includes a letter by Judah P. Benjamin, Secretary of War, CSA, in which he reprimands the firm of R.S. Archer for furnishing a large number of field guns "cast in a cupola furnace, you well knowing the extreme danger of using such guns, the almost certainty of their explosion... It is bad enough that our brave defenders should expose their lives to the fire of the enemy under such odds as exists against us, but to furnish them arms more dangerous to themselves than to the enemy is utterly inexcusable..." Also includes a letter of R.S. Archer who complains of orders by Josiah Gorgas, Chief of Ordnance, CSA, and a letter of Gorgas to Archer on the subject of the criticism of his firm.
Also known as MSS 0-71.
- Created: 1862
- Other: Date acquired: 09/01/1948
- Bohlen, Henry (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright has not been transferred to the Florida State University Libraries. All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
0.00 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
Gift of Henry Bohlen (no address given, Sept. 1948).
Processed Feb. 3, 1964. Inventory encoded by Burt Altman.
- Archer, R. S.
- Benjamin, J. P. (Judah Philip) 1811-1884
- Confederate States of America
- Confederate States of America Army--Ordnance and ordnance stores Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Gorgas, Josiah 1818-1883
- R.S. Archer (Firm)
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Equipment and supplies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Henry Bohlen Confederate Letters
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description