Scope and Contents
The Mount Vernon Plantation (the name was later changed to Pickney Hills) was located in Jefferson County about seven miles east of Monticello, Florida with a view overlooking "Razor Lake," so named by Mr. Hollingsworth because of its shape. The number of slaves listed, the livestock listed, records of sales of farm products, purchases of supplies, and descriptions of different parcels of land shown in the Last Will of John Hollingsworth indicate that Mount Vernon Plantation covered rather extensive acreage. The will also shows that he owned a home near Edgefield, South Carolina, which was situated on "about eleven hundred acres."
The papers consist of agreements, tax receipts, paid bills, production lists of slaves, account sales for cotton, bills for weighing cotton, bills for purchases, statements for tuition and board for children, doctor bills, account sales for butter, railroad bills for lading, express receipts, promissory notes, and lists of the sale of slaves. The collection also includes executor's papers of the estate of John Hollingsworth pertaining to distribution of his property, slaves (with values assigned), livestock, farm implements, household furniture, lands, legal papers signed by heirs who received slaves and other valuables they inherited through the will of Hollingsworth. Also included are bills for appraising property, doctor bills for visits to and service rendered slaves, for medicine, bills for shoeing horses and mules, for repairing wagons and buggies, for plantation supplies, etc. The last wills of both John Hollingsworth, Sr. and James Hollingsworth, Sr. along with genealogical data of Hollinsworth and Oliphant families are also included.
Also known as MSS 0-140.
Select documents from this collection have been digitized and are available through the FSU Digital Library.
- Created: 1768-1887, 1916
- Other: Majority of material found in 1788-1887
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
John Hollingsworth, Sr. owned and operated the Mount Vernon Plantation in Jefferson County, Florida, located about seven miles east of Monticello near the town of Ashville, Florida. He also owned a home near Edgefield, South Carolina, which was situated on about eleven hundred acres.
0.50 Linear Feet (12 Folders)
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
Given by Mrs. W. S. (Hollingsworth) Anderson
Existence and Location of Originals
Collection is microfilmed. Film 9605 is available in Scholars Commons.
Processed February 1968
- Antebellum Florida, 1845-1861 Subject Source: Local sources
- Cotton growing--Florida--Jefferson County Subject Source: Local sources
- Financial Records Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Formulas, recipes, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Genealogy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hollingsworth family
- Hollingsworth, James, d. 1822
- Hollingsworth, John Sr.
- Jefferson County (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jefferson County (Fla.)--History Subject Source: Local sources
- Mount Vernon Plantation (Jefferson County, Fla.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Oliphant family
- Plantation owners--Florida--Jefferson County Subject Source: Local sources
- Plantations--Florida Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Plantations--Southern States Subject Source: Local sources
- Slavery Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Slavery--Florida--Jefferson County Subject Source: Local sources
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hollingsworth Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note