Guyte P. McCord, Sr. Collection
Scope and Contents
Items found in this collection include the personal papers of Guyte McCord, consisting of correspondence, records of the Tallahassee Historical Society, newspaper clippings, articles, and papers relating to Judge James B. Whitfield. Also included in the collection are the official programs of the inaugurations of five Florida governors, miscellaneous publications, and typescripts of manuscripts published in issues of "Tallahassee Historical Society Annual."
Also known as MSS 0-181.
- Created: 1885-1961
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Guyte P. McCord, Sr. was president of the Tallahassee Historical Society (1964-1968) and throughout his lenghty career served in a number of official positions including Mayor of Tallahassee (1919, Mayor/Commissioner, 1920-1922), a Tallahassee City Commissioner (1934-1936), a United States Commissioner, Deputy Clerk of the United State District Courts, and Clerk of the Supreme Court (1939-1964).
Born 1884 in Grady County, Georgia. Died 1970 in Tallahassee, Florida.
8 folders (8 Folders)
227 Items other_unmapped
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Given by Guyte P. McCord, Sr.
Method of Acquisition
The items of this collection were received at intervals over a period of several years, but chiefly from 1964 through 1968 when Mr. McCord was president of the Tallahassee Historical Society. While many of the papers consist of his copies of records of the Tallahassee Historical Society, others were accumulated by Mr. McCord during the time that he was Mayor of Tallahassee, Tallahassee City Commissioner, United States Commissioner, Deputy Clerk of the United States District Court, and Clerk of the Supreme Court.
Processed February 1970
- African Americans--Florida Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida--Politics and government--1865-1950 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida. Governor
- Mayors--Florida--Tallahassee Subject Source: Local sources
- McCord, Guyte P.
- Programs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tallahassee (Fla.)--History Subject Source: Local sources
- Tallahassee (Fla.). City Commission
- Tallahassee Historical Society
- Whitfield, James Bryan, 1860-1948
- Guyte P. McCord, Sr. Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note