Florida State College for Women/Florida State University Reports to Board of Control
Scope and Contents
The reports begin with pre-printed standardized report form for monthly attendance including pages for Number entered during month and Number withdrawn during month. Some reports are lacking. These attendance reports begin with the report beginning Sept. 12, 1927 and ending Sept. 20, 1927. The report form indicates T. J. Appleyard, State Printer, Tallahassee, Fla. This report form was last used for the month beginning November 1, 1932 and ending November 30, 1932. There are both the standardized and the carbon copy format reports for the month of November 1932. The new format was followed from the month ending November 30, 1932 and are carbon copies of typed report stapled with title page "FLORIDA STATE COLLEGE FOR WOMEN, TALLAHASSEE, FLORIDA REPORT TO BOARD OF CONTROL FOR THE MONTH OF __"
These later reports have only the categories that apply to Florida State College for Women in the attendance report, and have a page for students who have withdrawn during the month, and report of numbers of various categories of employees of the College. These reports give some students names and various details including reason for withdrawal or date of entrance. Some reports give enrollment numbers for the Demonstration School, Summer Music Camps, and the Bootstrap Program as well.
- Created: 1927-1970
- Created: Majority of material found in 1927-1940, 1947-1962
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
To request permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from the archives, please contact Heritage & University Archives, Florida State University Libraries, Tallahassee, Florida. Researchers must obtain separate permission from the copyright holders of material held within University Archives collections for which the institution does not hold copyright.
Biographical or Historical Information
The Buckman Act of 1905 consolidated Florida colleges into three institutions of higher learning, and established the Board of Control over those institutions. Florida State College in Tallahassee then became the institution designated for women and was briefly named Florida Female College. After a few years it was renamed Florida State College for Women. This name continued until 1947 when the institution returned to coeducational status and was renamed The Florida State University. The Board of Control continued until 1965 when it was replaced by the Board of Regents in accordance with Florida Statutes.
Language of Materials
These statistical reports give enrollment, attendance, withdrawal and entrance reports first monthly and later per semester. They also report numbers of employees of various categories. The reports were sent to the Board of Control from Florida State College for Women and later from Florida State University.
The reports are organized chronologically according to the order of tabbed divisions in which they were found.
These reports have been held in the FSCW/FSU Archives collection.
Existence and Location of Originals
Portions of collection available online?: No
At some point these reports were filed in four spring binders with tabbed dividers for each year or semester, with years grouped together in binders as follows: 1927-1935; 1936-1940; 1947-1951; and 1951-1962. The reports have been removed from the binders and are now filed chronologically in archival folders. The dates in the folder titles match the information on the tabbed dividers that were found in the binders. Some reports are for first or second terms in Summer session. It is unknown if the reports from 1941-1946 are missing or were never reported. Beginning with Fall 1951-52 cumulative totals are given for Fall and Spring Semesters and for Summer Sessions on fold out carbon copy reports. For the year 1951-52 semester totals were not broken out according to notes on the reports.
- Doyle, S.R. (Simeon Robert), 1881-1943
- Education, Higher--Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- Edward, W.T., (William Thomas), 1905-
- Florida State College for Women
- Florida State University Libraries. Heritage & University Archives Subject Source: Lctgm
- Florida State University--Archives
- Florida State University--Employees--Salaries, etc. Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida State University--Faculty--Salaries, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University--Statistics--Archives
- Florida. Board of Control
- Hogarth, Charles P.(Charles Pinckney), 1911-
- Occupations--Florida--Statistics. Subject Source: Local sources
- State University System of Florida--Statistics. Subject Source: Local sources
- State universities and colleges--Florida. Subject Source: Local sources
- Tallahassee (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Walker, Charles H.
- Women--Education (Higher)--Florida--Statistics Subject Source: Local sources
- Women--Employment Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State College for Women/Florida State University Reports to Board of Control
- Fenton Garnett Avant
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US