Roderick McLennan Civil War Papers
Scope and Contents
Photostats of manuscripts and two United States printed forms filled in by and concerning Roderick McLennan, a citizen of Canada, 1864-1887. The five items are as listed below:
1. Letter by Roderick McLennan, Federal Prison, Ft. Jefferson, Monroe County, Florida, dated November 27, 1864, to "Dr. Donald," his brother. This four-page letter contains explanations regarding his imprisonment at Ft. Jefferson.
2. Civil War document. Sworn statement by Roderick McLennan that he will leave the United States of America... "and will not return to the United States or to the so-called Confederate States, during the existing war..." Attested by W.D. Brown, Captain and Provost-Marshal, State of Florida, City of Key West, January 6, 1864.
3. Civil War document. Provost Marshal's Office, Key West, Fla., January 10, 1865. "Permission to leave the Island of Key West, granted to Roderick McLennan, Age 41, 6 feet 3 inches high... native of Canada by occupation Engineer... By command of Jn. Newton, signed by D.P. Woodbury, Brig. Gen. Commanding District Key West and Tortugas. Witnessed by W.D. Brown, Provost-Marshal.
4. Order for transportation. Officer A.A. Q.M. Key West, Fla., January 10, 1864. "Transportation is hereby granted to R. McLennan to New York per Steamer "Continental"... Signed by E.A. Phellen, Capt. 110th NY V and A.A. QM.
5. Claim against the United States Government "for losses sustained by me during the war of 1860 to 1864..." By R. McLennan, C.E., 517 Sherbrune St., Toronto. Dated Dec. 15, 1887. Addressed to Donald MacMaster Esq., Q.G. The document states, "that I had been operating as a Civil Engineer chiefly in Georgia on the construction of railways from 1848 to 1864 and being a British subject took no part on either side during said war..."
Also known as MSS 0-183.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
1.00 folders (1 folder.)
Language of Materials
Method of Acquisition
Gift of Florida Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy, Fenton Davis Avant, Historian, Tallahassee, Florida.
Processed February 1965.
- Confederate States of America
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Key West (Fla.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- McLennan, Roderick
- Monroe County (Fla.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Oaths--United States. Subject Source: Local sources
- Railroads Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Roderick McLennan Civil War Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US