Florida State University Role and Scope Reports
Scope and Contents
Correspondence, questionnaires, reports and various publications. The materials in this collection consist of role and scope reports from various parts of Florida State University. Subjects covered by these materials include: academic affairs, budget, business operations, course development, research bibliography, faculty, internal questionnaires, organization and administration, goals, physical plant facilities, physical education, research, students, student life, College of Arts and Sciences, student welfare, enrollment data, alumni, Florida Council of 100, graduate school, letters to department heads, Library School, Library self-study, public relations, School of Business, School of Social Welfare, School of Education, School of Home Economics, School of Music, School of Nursing, higher education in Florida, Texas Christian University, University of Florida, and questionnaires to students.
- created: 1939-1976
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
The Florida State University, one of the largest and oldest of the nine institutions of higher learning in the State University System of Florida, had its beginning in 1851 when the Florida Legislature established two seminaries. In February 1857, the institution began offering postsecondary instruction to male students at the Seminary West of the Suwannee River. The following year it became coeducational when it merged with the Tallahasse Female Academy.
By 1897 the institution had evolved into the first liberal arts college in the state, and in 1901 it became Florida State College, a four year institution. In 1905 the University of Florida was established and designated a men's school, and the Florida State College became a women's school calledthe Florida Female College. In 1909 the name of the college was changed to Florida State College for Women.
In 1947, the Florida State College for Women was returned to coeducational status and renamed The Florida State University. By the 1980s, the University was recognized as a major research institute with over 370 buildings on nearly 1200 acres including the main campus of 346 acres in Tallahassee. (Taken from the Florida State University General Bulletin, 1995- 1997)
Language of Materials
Processed November 1990
- Florida State University Role and Scope Reports
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note