Skip to main content

Florida State College for Women Surveys and Reports

 Collection — Box: 1807
Identifier: MSS 2003-003

Scope and Contents

In this collection is found evidence of the Florida State College for Women's growth from 1911-1941 under the direction of Dr. Edward Conradi. The surveys include data that was provided on a yearly basis to the accreditation associations, and information about the various schools within the college concerning their accreditations and teaching methods, alumni, number of degrees awarded, faculty degrees, salaries, building and land appraisals, student activities and health issues. Surveys and reports were sent to the American Association of University Women, American Council on Education, Association of American Colleges, Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools of the Southern States, the Encyclopedia Americana, and the U.S. Department of the Interior-Bureau of Education There are additional surveys from organizations such as alumni associations, the American Medical Association, and universities inquiring about FSCW operations, student health services, the health status of the student body, and religious groups.

Dates

  • Created: 1911-1941
  • Other: Majority of material found in 1920-1939
  • Other: Date acquired: 00/00/2003

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open to all researchers.

Conditions Governing Use

To request permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from the archives, please contact Heritage & University Archives, Florida State University Libraries, Tallahassee, Florida. Researchers must obtain separate permission from the copyright holders of material held within University Archives collections for which the institution does not hold copyright.

Biographical or Historical Information

In 1905, The Florida Legislature established Florida Female College. The Legislature changed the name to Florida State College for Women (FSCW) in 1909. That same year Dr. Edward Condradi becomes FSCW's president. From 1911-1916, the Westcott Building (Administrative Building) was built and marked this time of rapid expansion for the college. The School of Education was created, and many new dormatories were built. Finally, in 1915, FSCW became fully accredited and was admitted to the Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools of the Southern States (now called the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools).

By 1920, enrollment reached 500 and the first dean of the School of Music, Ella Scoble Opperman, is hired. Enrollment reached 1500 in 1928 and FSCW becomes the seventh largest college for women in the country. In 1930, enrollment is at 2663. Due to the Great Depression, students often barter citrus and livestock with the University to cover their fees. Faculty reaches 176 members. In 1933, 16 teachers are fired due to Depression era legislative cutbacks and budget concerns. However, in the late 1930s, FSCW recovers, and the campus continues to acquire land and buildings. New faculty are added and FSCW quickly becomes the third largest women's college in the country. In 1941, Dr. Edward Conradi retires.

Extent

0.04 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Includes reports and surveys provided by the Florida State College for Women to various accreditation, educational, and government agencies from 1911 to 1941.

Method of Acquisition

The Florida State College for Women Reports and Surveys were given to the Special Collections Department, Florida State University Libraries, by Steve Edwards, Dean of Students of Florida State University, in 2003.

Processing Information

This collection was originally listed as three different accessions when they were received in February 2003. Because these materials were the same record type and served a similar purpose, they were merged into one accession in May 2004.
Title
Florida State College for Women Surveys and Reports
Author
Amy McDonald
Date
00/00/2004
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
eng

Repository Details

Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository

Contact:
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US
850-644-3271