John E. Lane papers
Scope and Contents
This unpublished memoir relates to Private John E. Lane who served in the United States Marine Corps, 25th Marine Regiment, 4th Marine Division, as a rifleman, runner, and radioman during the Battle of Iwo Jima in World War II. The collection contains a memoir “Private Lane,” describing Lane's experiences during World War II from 1941 to 1945. The collection also includes 3 portraits of Lane during 1944-1945.
In the memoir, he recounts many important aspects, such as the motivation and patriotism at the very moment of Pearl Harbor, training experience, his family bonds, the battlefield, food supplies, Iwo Jima, Japanese soldiers and their humanities, friendships in the camp, and the stories back to home.
- Created: 1941-1945
- Other: Date acquired: 10/14/2000
- Lane, John E. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
John E. Lane was born June 12, 1926, in Brooklyn, N.Y., to John and Selena Durack Lane. He married Marie Roland on September 14, 1947, in West New York, N.J. He held a master's degree from Columbia University, East Asian Institute. During the war, he served in the U.S. Marine Corps, 25th Marine Regiment, 4th Marine Division, as a rifleman, runner, and radioman. He worked as a professor of history at Long Island University in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
Source of Acquisition
John. E. Lane
Method of Acquisition
- Iwo Jima, Battle of, Japan, 1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New York (N.Y.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Pearl Harbor (Hawaii), Attack on, 1941 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States--Armed Forces--Mobilization Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army--Demobilization Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Marine Corps. Marine Division, 4th
- United States. Marine Corps. Marine Regiment, 25th
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Pacific Area Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Equipment and supplies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- John E. Lane papers
- Huaqing Shi
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US