Skip to main content

Florida State University Summer Music Camp Records

 Collection — Box: 1815
Identifier: 00-MSS 2007-031

Scope and Contents

Collection includes the annual publications and newsletters of the Florida State University (FSU) Summer Music Camp. Generally there is a statement by the Music Camp Director in each issue of the annual publication ALLEGRO. These publications include lists of faculty, staff, and students, awards, interviews, poetry and prose and artwork. There are also individual and group photographs, with some student scenes. Also included in the collection are programs of performances, awards, press releases and a survey, brochures with applications, and news clippings.

Related material may be found in the FSU Archives Vertical File under Music, School of.

Dates

  • Created: 1943-2008
  • Other: Majority of material found in 1943-1985

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open to all researchers.

Conditions Governing Use

To request permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from the archives, please contact Heritage & University Archives, Florida State University Libraries, Tallahassee, Florida. Researchers must obtain separate permission from the copyright holders of material held within University Archives collections for which the institution does not hold copyright.

Biographical or Historical Information

Summer Music Camp was begun in 1942 by Dean Ella Scoble Opperman who chose Peter J. Gustat and Otto J. Kraushaar to organize it. Summer Music Camp existed under both Florida State College for Women (FSCW) and Florida State University (FSU). Originally it was a bandmasters' camp, and in 1945 a choral division was added under the direction of Max Noah of Georgia State College for Women. In later years an orchestra division was added to the Summer Music Camp. By 1953 or possibly earlier, the FSU Summer Music Camp included orchestra, band, chorus, baton twirling, dance band, private study, conducting, music theory and recreation. Directors of the camp were generally the Dean or Assistant Dean of the School of Music, that later became the College of Music.

From 1952-1959 and from 1962-1966 the director was Dr. Karl O. Kuersteiner (1901-1973); from 1960-1961, Owen F. Sellers (1906-1983), the Assistant Dean of Music was director; in 1967 Wiley L. Housewright (1913-2003) was director; and in 1971, 1973-1974 Robert T. Braunagel was director.

Extent

11.00 folders

Language of Materials

English

Method of Acquisition

Cannot be determined.

Processing Information

Processed by Fenton Garnett Avant in November 2007. Materials were originally housed as part of the FSU Archives Serials and Vertical Files.
Title
Florida State University Summer Music Camp Records
Author
Fenton Garnett Avant
Date
2007
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
eng

Repository Details

Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository

Contact:
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US
850-644-3271