Lieutenant Wheelock military application
Scope and Contents
This item is a manuscript application by T. B. Wheelock, 1st Lieutenant, Dragoons, Black Creek, Clay County, East Florida dated June 4, 1836, to the Hon. Lewis Cap, Secretary of War, Washington, D.C., in which he states that he has heard that a new Regiment of Dragoons is being formed, and "I beg leave to request to be considered a candidate for a captaincy." This application pertains to the Seminole War in Florida. The reverse side is stamped "Steam-Boat" and is post-marked Charleston, S.C., indicating that it was taken on board a river boat and transported to Charleston to connect with regular mail.
- Other: June 4, 1836
- Other: Date acquired: 04/01/1952
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
1.00 items (1 folder)
0 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Purchased from Symmachus Trading Company
Processed July 27, 1964
- Antebellum Florida, 1845-1861 Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Seminole War, 2nd, 1835-1842 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lieutenant Wheelock military application
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note