Harold G. Blunk papers
Scope and Contents
This collection relates to Harold G. Blunk served as Sergeant Major for the 5th Air Depot Group, 39th Station Composite Squadron, Administrative Division, 35th Depot Repair, in the 8th Air Force Command Station in England from 1943-1945. This collection contains photographs, a newspaper clipping, and documents relating to his personal life and military career.
- Created: 1942-1962
- Other: Date acquired: 12/14/2013
- Blunk, Harold G., 1916-1969 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Harold Glen Blunk was born in Kentucky on December 20, 1916, and then moved to Denver, Colorado in 1930. Prior to his induction into the Army on December 2, 1942, he served in Battery E of the 168th Artillery in the Colorado National Guard until he was honorably discharged in 1936. He then moved to Los Angeles, California to work as a time and motion engineer while his wife and two children remained in Ionia, Michigan.
He was inducted into the U.S. Army Air Force following his training in Sheppard Field, Texas where he was sorted into the Air Corps Supply and Technical Club after a series of physical and mental evaluations. Blunk was then moved to Atlantic City, New Jersey, and Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia before being deployed to England in May of 1943. He then served as staff in the command section of the strategic air depot bomber repair base for the 8th Air Force. While in England, Blunk was moved between administrative departments within the repair groups going from the 5th Air Depot Group to the 39th Station Composite Squadron, then to the Air 35th Depot Repair Squadron, and then finally back to the 5th Air Depot. In November of 1945, he was discharged from the Army and he passed away on March 3, 1969, in Los Angeles, California.
.5 Linear Feet (1 half box)
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
- Atlantic City (N.J.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- B-17 (Bomber) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Camp Patrick Henry (Va.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Denver (Colo.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kentucky Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Los Angeles (Calif.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Los Angeles (Calif.)--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Rationing--United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- San Antonio (Tex.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sheppard Field (Tex.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- United States. Air Force. Air Force, 15th Subject Source: Local sources
- United States. Army Air Forces
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 8th
- World War, 1939-1945--Aerial operations, American--Personal narratives Subject Source: Local sources
- World War, 1939-1945--Great Britain Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Harold G. Blunk papers
- Bianca Pallo
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US