Scope and Contents
The George Whitfield notebook contains records of transactions between 1859 and 1864 and as well as lists of slaves, tax lists, and receipts. It is revealing as to his character, general standing and financial responsibility.
- Created: 1859-1864
- Other: Date acquired: 00/00/1962
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
George Whitfield was a large slave owner and dealer as well as somewhat active in politics in antebellum Florida.
1.00 items (1 Folder)
0 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Gift of Mrs. Sydney V. Coxetter
Processed March 24, 1964
- Antebellum Florida, 1845-1861 Subject Source: Local sources
- Civil War in Florida, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Local sources
- Cotton Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Slavery Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Slavery--United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Whitfield notebook
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note