Winthrop Family Papers
Scope and Contents
Business, personal, family and military papers, correspondence, orders, bills, pictures, publications, engineering diagrams and blueprints. This collection contains the business papers of John S. Winthrop and Mrs. Susan Winthrop, including correspondence, plantation records, bills, orders, mortgages, tax information and bookkeeping records. There are also personal and family papers of the Winthrop family, including pictures of persons such as Sindey Alder and members of the Winthrop family, as well as the military papers for Captain Guy L. Winthrop. The collection contains a set of eight blueprints and designs, the business papers of Francis B. Winthrop, and a map of Burrow Hill Place.
Information about the Winthrop Family Tree is on four photocopied sheets as follows:
1. Adam Winthrop, Levenham, Suffolk in 1498, to Guy Louis, died 1963.
2. Smith-Armistead-Winthrop. Nathaniel Smith, born 1788, to John Still Winthrop, died 1862.
3. Rogers-Winthrop-Bell. Nehemiah Rogers, born 1718, to Guy Louis, died 1963.
4. Nathaniel Marston, 1697, to Evelyn Susan Armistead, 1846.
Includes MSS 0-267, MSS 1-04 and MSS 79-6.
Select materials from the Winthrop Papers have been digitized and are available through the FSU Digital Library.
- Created: 1592-1970
- Other: Majority of material found in 1841-1941
- Other: Date acquired: 12/01/1969
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections and Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Gift of Mrs. Guy L. Winthrop
Accruals and Additions
Accession MSS 0-267: Gift of Mrs. Guy Winthrop. July 1, 1970 Accession MSS 1-04: Received from Frank Hutchinson. No date recorded. Rescued from the Winthrop House before it was demolished. Accession MSS 79-6: Gift of Mrs. Guy Winthrop-King. No date recorded.
Processed March 1970
- American Sumatra tobacco co.
- Armistead Family
- Business enterprises--Florida Subject Source: Local sources
- Cotton Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Leon County (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Military Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Patents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Plantations--Florida Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Plantations--Southern States Subject Source: Local sources
- Winthrop Family Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Container: Book of Common Prayer (Text)
- Box: 158 (Text)
- Box: 504 (Text)
- Box: 505 (Text)
- Box: 506 (Text)
- Box: 507 (Text)
- Box: 508 (Text)
- Box: 509 (Text)
- Box: 510 (Text)
- Box: 511 (Text)
- Box: 512 (Text)
- Container: OS Box 1 (Text)
- Folder: Map of Lafayette Plantation (Maps)
- Folder: OS items (Mixed Materials)
- Folder: Land Plat of Betton Hills Plantation 'Oakdale' and Barrow Hill Place map (Maps)