Scope and Contents
The papers consist of certificates of purchases of land, a certificate commissioning Scarborough as Captain of a volunteer infantry company, land deeds, Territorial Florida manuscripts, a picture of Mrs. M.L. Scarborough, newspapers and clippings, personal letters, reports of blankets, provisions, and clothing required by Floridians in prison at Fort Delaware, promissory notes, receipts, invoices, and a typed copy of "Express-Supplement", a letter to an unknown newspaper editor by William T. Gregory in 1860, pertaining to the proposed secession from the Union by Florida and other states.
Also known as MSS 0-179
- Created: 1835-1936
- Other: Date acquired: 05/25/1959
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Captain Raburn Monroe Scarborough (1826-1862), was a plantation and land owner in Gadsden County, Florida, and Captain of Camp Retrieve in Apalachicola in Florida. Mrs. Scarborough was Martha Lucinda Davis of Mt. Pleasant when she married her first husband, Mr. Daniel Smith. They had three girls: Annie (or Nancy; Mrs. Ormand), Belle (Mrs. Edward Love) and Mamie (or Mollie; Mrs. Judge E.C. Love). The Scarborough children were Sissie (spelled Sifie; Mrs. Sara Warren S. Love), Bud (Frank Scarborough), Eddie (Edgar Scarborough) and Mattie (or little Sissie; Mrs. A.L. Wilson).
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Gift of Miss Sarah Mae Love
Method of Acquisition
Gift negotiated by N. Orwin Rush, Florida State University Librarian.
Existence and Location of Originals
Collection is available on microform, Film #9604. The newspapers in the collection can be viewed in the [url=https://fsu.digital.flvc.org/islandora/search?type=edismax&collection=fsu:historicalnewspapers]FSU Digital Library[/url].
Processed March 20, 1964 (newspapers). Rest of collection processed March 20, 1964.
- Antebellum Florida, 1845-1861 Subject Source: Local sources
- Camp Retrieve (Apalachicola, Fla.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Confederate States of America
- Deeds Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Financial Records Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida--History--1821-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gadsden County (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gregory, William T.
- Legal documents. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mortgages Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Quincy (Fla.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reports Subject Source: Local sources
- Scarborough, M. L. Mrs--Portraits Subject Source: Local sources
- Scarborough, Raburn Monroe, 1826-1862
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Love-Scarborough Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note