Skip to main content

Lewis Bank papers

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MSS 0-178

Scope and Contents

The Lewis Bank papers are an extensive collection of banking records and papers pertaining to the Lewis family's banking enterprises in Tallahassee. These materials give insight into the economic evolution of the Tallahassee community by the administrative operation of State and University in which agriculture is of secondary importance.

Subjects covered by the collection include: banks in New York City, Atlanta, Georgia, Savannah, Georgia, and Tallahassee, Florida; cork industry; Florida State Troops; G. E. Lewis; Jacksonville oil companies; naval stores; cotton; Beulah B. Briley estate; E. W. Clark estate; F. H. Flagg estate; J. O. Gallegher estate; William P. Slusser estate; Hattie E. Stuart estate; Nettie Thomas estate; James D. Westcott estate; phosphates; Tallahassee hotels; Tallahassee brick companies; insurance companies in Tallahassee, Florida, and Eufaula, Alabama; acts of the Florida Legislature; Tallahassee laws; bank laws in Tallahssee; and rural homes.

Dates

  • created: 1854-1957
  • created: Majority of material found in 1871-1925
  • Other: Date acquired: 03/10/1966

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open to all researchers.

Conditions Governing Use

All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.

Biographical or Historical Information

The Lewis family recalls March 5, 1856 as the date associated with the commencement of B. C. Lewis's banking operations of collection and exchange. May 1870 finds George Lewis taken into partnership with his father and the firm known as B. C. Lewis and Son. When, in 1873, the next son was taken into the firm, the firm name changed to B. C. Lewis and Sons and remained under that name until 1889 when the First National Bank in the City of Tallahassee and the County of Leon was organized and took over the banking operations of B. C. Lewis and Sons. In order to accommodate their savings depositors they then organized the State Savings Bank under the Certificate of Authority dated October 25, 1889.

These two banks continued in operation until 1916 when, unhappy about some regulations of the Federal Reserve System, the controlling directors decided to reorganize under a State Charter and were granted a charter authorizing the Lewis State Bank. In December of 1919 the State Savings Bank, still in operation, was absorbed by the Lewis State Bank as its Savings Department.

Extent

3296.00 items

Language of Materials

English

Source of Acquisition

Gift of Mr. George Lewis

Related Publications

A complete history of the Banking Lewis Family is available in the supplement of the Florida Historical Quarterly Vol. XXXIV No. 4. (April 1956.)

Related Materials

Lewis Family Papers, 900000/M87- 38, State Archives of Florida.

Processing Information

Processed Spring 1976 and Fall 1981.

Title
Lewis Bank papers
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository

Contact:
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US
850-644-3271