Message of the President by John Milton
Scope and Contents
Printed copy of Message of the President, Executive Department, Tallahassee, December 9, 1864, to the Speaker of the House of Representatives Confederate States Congress, Richmond, Virginia. Signed by John Milton, Governor of Florida, the document is a "Joint Resolution of Confidence in and Thanks to President Jefferson Davis." Also signed by A.K. Allison, President of the Senate; F.L. Villepigue, Secretary of the Senate; Philip Dell, Speaker House of Representatives; Wm. Forsyth Bynum, Clerk House of Representatives; John Milton, Governor of Florida, and B.F. Allen, Secretary of State.
Also known as MSS 0-184
- Other: Date acquired: 05/03/1956
- Milton, John 1807-1865 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
John Milton was the fifth Governor of Florida after statehood serving from October 1861 until he took his own life in April 1865 as the Confederacy began to collapse. Milton was a political force in the state prior to the Civil War and strongly encouraged fellow voters to opt for secession from the Union.
1.00 folders (1 folder.)
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
Purchased from W. Folk Book Dealer.
Inventory encoded by Burt Altman. Processed July 1965.
- Confederate States of America
- Davis, Jefferson 1808-1889
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Florida--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida--Politics and government--1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida. Governor
- Florida. Governor (1861-1865 : Milton)
- Milton, John, 1807-1865
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Message of the President by John Milton
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note