Hope C. Waggoner Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection relates to Hope C. Waggoner who served with the 18th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron in the European Theater during World War II. These papers contain information on the day to day life of an army soldier. It contains his army papers, newspaper clippings, propaganda pieces, and personal correspondences.
- Created: 1943-1946
- Other: Date acquired: 08/07/0008
- Waggoner, Hope C. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Hope C. Waggoner was born in Atlanta, Georgia on November 29, 1924, and grew up in Dekalb County, Georgia. He enlisted in the U.S. Army and rose to Scout Car Commander with Troop A, 18th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron in the European Theater of Operations. He was deployed to France and eventually made his way to Germany. He kept all of his own personal correspondences with his family for a scrapbook which he kept at home including a handwritten account of everywhere they stopped. These places include Ardennes, Korbach, and Neumarkt. On January 25, 1946, he was honorably discharged. He died in Dallas, Texas on October 8, 2008.
Language of Materials
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
The papers were donated to the Institute after Hope C. Waggoner passed away by his wife.
- Ardennes, Battle of the, 1944-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Atlanta (Ga.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Europe--Description and Travel Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Korbach (Germany) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Neumarkt (Dresden, Germany) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Remagen (Germany) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945
- United States. Army
- United States. Army--Military life Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Army. 18th Calvary Reconnaissance Squadron, Troop A
- United States. Army. European Theater of Operations
- Hope C. Waggoner Papers
- Caroline Palmer
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note