Keith Beauchamp Papers
Scope and Contents
Audiovisual recordings, newspaper and magazine clippings, and other documentation of the work of Keith Beauchamp, especially regarding Emmett Till and the 2005 motion picture The Untold Story of Emmett Louis Till.
Some material from the Beauchamp Papers is available through the FSU Digital Library
- Created: 1950, 1955, 2001-2006, 2015, 2018
- Majority of material found within 2001 - 2006
Conditions Governing Access
Except where otherwise noted, this collection is open to all researchers.
Access to video content in Box 1-3 is restricted by donor agreement. Please contact Special Collections & Archives staff for more information on access to these materials. https://www.lib.fsu.edu/specialcollections/
Conditions Governing Use
Copyrights in works by Keith Beauchamp in this collection are held by Florida State University. For permission to re-use content beyond Fair Use, contact Special Collections & Archives staff at email@example.com.
Copyright restrictions may apply to other works in this collection. Re-use or copying beyond Fair Use may require permission from rights-holders. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Keith A. Beauchamp is an African American filmmaker and lecturer. He is known for his creative work and activism regarding African American civil rights, and especially for work related to the 1955 lynching of Emmett Till.
Beauchamp was born in 1972 near Augusta, Georgia, and grew up in Louisiana. He studied Criminal Justice at Southern University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. In 1999, Beauchamp founded Till Freedom Come Productions and began traveling among New York City, Chicago, and locations in Mississippi, investigating the murder of Emmett Till. On May 10th, 2004, the United States Department of Justice re-opened the Emmett Till murder case, citing Beauchamp’s documentary The Untold Story of Emmett Louis Till as a factor in their decision and the starting point for their investigation.
In 2007, Beauchamp begin his collaboration with the FBI’s Civil Rights Cold Case Initiative, producing documentaries on unsolved civil rights murders. Other works by Till Freedom Come Productions include Wanted Justice: Johnnie Mae Chappell (2009); If I Die Tonight (2009); and the BET Her series Exceptional Black Women (2019). Beauchamp also served as executive producer and host of Investigation Discovery’s crime reality series The Injustice Files (2011-2014), and screenwriter and producer of the feature film Till (2022).
Jackson, Angelique. “Whoopi Goldberg, Danielle Deadwyler to Star in Movie About Emmett Till’s Mother Directed by Chinonye Chukwu.” Variety online. July 23, 2021. https://variety.com/2021/film/news/whoopi-goldberg-emmett-till-movie-danielle-deadwyler-1235026380/
Till Freedom Come Productions. “Production Portfolio,” accessed November 22, 2021. https://www.tillfreedomcome.com/
Authors: Rory Grennan and Haley McGuyre
4 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Technical Access Requirements
Content on videocassette is not immediately available for use in Special Collections & Archives reading rooms. Please contact staff at (850) 644-3271 or email@example.com for more information about viewing and using audiovisual recordings from archival collections.
Source of Acquisition
Keith A. Beauchamp (creator)
Method of Acquisition
Donation. Deed of Gift executed October 2015. Acquired on February 24, 2017. Additional materials donated in February 2018.
- Documentary films Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida State University Libraries. Manuscripts Collections Subject Source: Local sources
- Motion pictures. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Till, Emmett, 1941-1955
- Videocassettes. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Simeon Wright recording AIP
- Simeon Wright; Rev. Parker Service recording AIP
- Wheeler Parker recording AIP
- Willie Reed recording AIP
- Interviews with Mamie Till-Mobely and Crosby Smith Jr.; Interview with Willie Reed, part 2 AIP
- Interview with Charles Evers, part 1 AIP
- Interview with Charles Evers, part 2, Footage outside WMPR Radio and Interview with Ruthie Mae, part 2 AIP
- Footage of Greenwood and Interview with Ruthie Mae, part 1 AIP
- Interviews with John and Roosevelt Crawford, part 1 AIP
- Interviews with Roosevelt and John Crawford, part 2 AIP
- Interview with John Crawford, part 3 and Interview with Bettie Brooks, part 1 AIP
- Interview with Bettie Brooks, part 2 AIP
- Interview with Dr. Raymond J. Lockett, part 1 AIP
- Interview with Dr. Raymond J. Lockett, part 2, Scenes from Sumner and Money, Mississippi and Interview with Mayor Edwards AIP
- Footage of Burr Oak Cemetery and the Emmett Till gravesite, Till-Mobley Home and photographs of Emmett Till AIP
- Footage of Emmett Till Road, 40th Roberts Temple Church of God in Christ and Emmett Till's school AIP
- Footage of Ruleville, Mississippi, Interview with Mayor Edwards, part 2 and children singing "Lift Every Voice and Sing" AIP
- Greenwood, Mississippi Reunion AIP
- Footage at Money, Sumner and Greenwood, Mississippi Locations AIP
- Footage at Money and Greenwood, Mississippi Locations AIP
- Master trailer for the Emmett Till documentary and Interviews from the 2001 Greenwood, MS Reunion and CBS Archive Footage AIP
- Remembrance March in Washington D.C., part 1 AIP
- Remembrance March in Washington D.C., part 2, Archival Footage, Interview with Reverend Al Sharpton and Footage of the National Action Network Headquarters AIP
- Interview with Doctors Beito, Interview with reporter David Holmberg and Acting Scenes with various actors AIP
- Interview with Dan Wakefield AIP
- Chicago City Council Meeting 1 AIP
- Chicago City Council Meeting 2; Resolution Starts AIP
- Till Event, second camera and Interview with Mary Johnson AIP
- Interviews with Simeon Wright, Wheeler Parker and Willie Reed and CNN Interview with Keith Beauchamp and Chris Benson following the re-opening of the Emmett Till case AIP
- Woodrow Jackson recording AIP
- Keith Beauchamp Papers
- Rory Grennan and Haley McGuyre
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the FSU Special Collections & Archives Repository
116 Honors Way
PO Box 3062047
Tallahassee FL 32306-2047 US