Joe Rendelman papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains a copy of the oral history interview of Joe Rendelman who served with the 15th Air Force in Italy. He was shot down over Romania after twenty-five missions. He spent six months in a POW camp and was liberated by the Russians in 1944.
- Creation: 1942-1945
- Other: Majority of material found within 1944
- Other: Date acquired: 11/19/2002
- Other: Date accessioned: 2020-05-22
- Rendelman, Joe (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to quote, publish, broadcast or otherwise reproduce from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Dean for Special Collections & Archives. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Florida State University Libraries as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Biographical or Historical Information
Joe Rendelman was born around 1924 in Philadelphia, PA. He served 1942-1945 as an aerial gunner with the the Fifteenth Air Force, initially arriving in Italy. He was shot down over Romania after twenty-five missions. He spent six months in a POW camp and was one of the first American POWs liberated by the Russians in 1944. He was awarded with the soldiers medal, a purple heart, and many other honors. After returning to the United States, he married Marcia Polatnick, and the couple had 7 children (Michael, Gregory, David, Andrew, Denise Weiner, Sydney Bassman, Julie Spring Rendelman passed away at the age of 82 in Delray Beach, FL, on September 11, 2006.
Language of Materials
This collection was donated by Joe Rendelman. The collection was acquired by the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience on November 19, 2002.
Transferred from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience to FSU Libraries Special Collections & Archives in July 2022.
- Prisoners of war
- Prisoners of war--Europe--Interviews
- United States--Army Air Forces--Aerial operations
- United States--Army Air Forces--Aerial operations--Personal narratives
- United States. Air Force. Air Force, 15th
- United States. Army Air Forces--Military life
- World War, 1939-1945
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Italy
- World War, 1939-1945--Germany
- World War, 1939-1945--Personal narratives, American
- World War, 1939-1945--Prisoners and prisons, American
- World War, 1939-1945--Romania
- World War, 1939-1945--United States
- Joe Rendelman papers
- Craig Whittington
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description