John E. Schmidt, Jr. papers
Scope and Contents
32 page interview covering John E. Schmidt's life from birth and early childhood to his military career and life on base in the Panama Canal Zone. The vast majority of the interview concerns life in the Canal Zone from leisure activities to medical matters.
- Created: 1931 - 1951
- Other: Majority of material found in 1931-1951
- Other: Date acquired: 06/08/1999
- Schmidt, John E. (Family)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish, exhibit, or broadcast works from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience must be requested and granted in writing by the director of the Institute. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Institute on World War II as the owner of the physical items and the copyright holder. Possession of a copy of an item does not constitute permission to publish, exhibit, or broadcast it. The Institute on World War II and the Human Experience reserves the right to refuse permission to individuals and publishers who have not complied with its policies. Permission fees must be paid before images are provided. Please contact the director of the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience for current publication and duplication rates.
Biographical or Historical Information
John E. Schmidt was born in 1931 and grew up in the Panama Canal Zone. He moved to Panama in 1935 after his father got a job with the U.S. Army Signal Corps in 1934. He worked with the U.S. Navy briefly before joining the U.S. Air Force in 1951. In the military he was a part of multiple units including the 1001st Air Bombardment Wing and 3550th Combat Crew Training Wing, and briefly deployed to Vietnam as a part of MACV-J-2 Headquarters. He held a position on the faculty of the Air Force Academy for a total of nine years. He earned the Bronze Star and multiple commendations.
Language of Materials
Source of Acquisition
John E. Schmidt Jr.
Method of Acquisition
Revised 2/20/2017. Entered 2/16/2017.
- Panama Canal. Subject Source: Local sources
- United States. Air Force
- United States. Army Air Forces--Military life Subject Source: Lcnaf
- United States. Army--Military life Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Vietnam War Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- John E. Schmidt, Jr. papers
- Scott Sinisi
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note