Skip to main content

Stewart Abbott Fraser transcript

 Collection — Box: Single Folder Collections - 2001 Box, Folder: 01.0439 - Folder 1
Identifier: 02-01.0439

Scope and Contents

This oral history transcript relates to Stewart Abbott Fraser who served in the U.S. Navy during World War II in the Pacific Theater. Fraser served aboard the USS Missouri. Fraser was also present during the formal Japanese surrender on September 2, 1945


  • Event: 1941-1946
  • Created: Date of taped Interview


Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open to all researchers.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish, exhibit, or broadcast works from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience must be requested and granted in writing by the director of the Institute. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Institute on World War II as the owner of the physical items and the copyright holder. Possession of a copy of an item does not constitute permission to publish, exhibit, or broadcast it. The Institute on World War II and the Human Experience reserves the right to refuse permission to individuals and publishers who have not complied with its policies. Permission fees must be paid before images are provided. Please contact the director of the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience for current publication and duplication rates.

Biographical or Historical Information

Stewart Abbott Fraser was born February 1, 1928, in Andover, Massachusetts. During World War II, he attempted to join the military before of legal age to enlist, including a plan to run away to Canada to join the Royal Air Force. Fraser joined the U.S. Navy in 1945, only a few days after turning 17. Fraser completed his Naval training in Sampson, NY. He was then sent to Treasure Island, California to the USS General C. H. Muir.  From there Fraser traveled to Pearl Harbor and then to Leyte, Philippines to transfer to the USS Missouri.  Fraser's first assignment would be to the turrets, however, would be reassigned to the executive officer's office doing clerical work. Fraser's battle station was on the bridge of the USS Missouri where he would have an interesting conversation between, the Presidents nephew,  Joseph Truman and Admiral Halsey about the food being served. Fraser would also be present during a conversation between Admiral Halsey and General MacArthur regarding proper uniform etiquette during the Japanese surrender aboard the USS Missouri.  After the war, Fraser worked for the Pentagon, Army Department of Operations. Fraser was recalled to duty on June 27, 1950, for the Korean War. Fraser received two battle stars and a Pacific ribbon during his eight and a half years of service. He passed away on September 1, 2006.


1 folders

Language of Materials


Stewart Abbott Fraser transcript
Jessie Mrock
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note

Repository Details

Part of the Institute on WWII and the Human Experience Repository