Reubin O'Donovan Askew papers
Scope and Contents
This collection centers around one Florida State Guard soldier, and an American soldier stationed at the Technical School and Basic Training Center for the Air Force in Gulfport Field, Mississippi. The collection includes a child's drawing, two letters written to the soldier's mother outlining Air Force training and daily life, a newspaper clipping written about the Florida State Guard drills, a letter about D-Day, and photographs of a B-26 Marauder, an American flight crew, an American and Russian soldier, and Yontan Airfield in Okinawa, and their corresponding modern negatives.
- Created: 1943-1946
- Other: Date acquired: 09/28/2001
- Askew, Reubin O'D., 1928-2014 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to all researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish, exhibit, or broadcast works from the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience must be requested and granted in writing by the director of the Institute. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Institute on World War II as the owner of the physical items and the copyright holder. Possession of a copy of an item does not constitute permission to publish, exhibit, or broadcast it. The Institute on World War II and the Human Experience reserves the right to refuse permission to individuals and publishers who have not complied with its policies. Permission fees must be paid before images are provided. Please contact the director of the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience for current publication and duplication rates.
Biographical or Historical Information
Reubin Askew was born in Oklahoma on September 11, 1928. He joined the Florida State Guard in 1944, lying about his age of 15 to enlist. He later attended Florida State University, earning a degree in Public Administration in 1951, and then served in the U.S. Air Force until 1953. He served as the Governor of Florida from 1970-1979.
Language of Materials
- Askew, Reubin O'D., 1928-2014
- B-26 Marauder (Bomber) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Florida. Governor (1971-1979: Askew) Subject Source: Local sources
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--France--Normandy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reubin O'Donovan Askew papers
- Jill Szaroleta
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note