Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
This collection contains the oral history interview of Lieutenant Colonel Everett Walker conducted by the Institute on World War II and the Human Experience. Walker was forced to bail out very near the target on his eighteenth mission as a bombardier and gunner on a B-24. He discusses his rescue from the water, his interrogation experience and the conditions of his internment. He also talks about the many different escape attempts made by the American POWs at Stalag Luft III.
This collection consists of published material, newspaper clippings, interviews, and published unit histories, collected by the Gordy brothers about their wartime experience. Both brothers served in the U.S. Army Air Corps and as POWs in German camps.
This collection includes photographs and documents pertaining to aerial operations over Europe during World War II. Lt. Herman Simler flew over 30 bombing missions over Europe during his service. The squadrons specified in this collection are the 8th Army Air Force, the 15th Army Air Force, and the 716th-719th bomber squadrons.
The Edwin Ivy papers illustrate 2nd Lieutenant Ivy's service in the Army Air Corps in the 485th Heavy Bombardment Group, 831st Squadron, from 1942-1945 in Italy, France, and Austria where he was shot down and became a prisoner of war in Stalag Luft III. Ivy's oral history encompasses the majority of his collection and provides detail of his military training, time spent in the Army Air Corps, as a prisoner of war, and being discharged. His papers also include the first chapter of Old Man in a Baseball Cap by Fred Rochlin. The chapter describes the significance of remembering the past and passing down experiences to others.
The collection of First Lieutenant James Feerick contains an oral history transcript of an interview provided by the Reichelt Program for Oral History. Feerick served in the U.S. Army Air Corps as part of the 8th Bomber Command, 1st Bombardment Wing, 91st Bombardment Group in the European theater. He was based in London at Bassingbourne.
The collection also includes a copy of a magazine article from 2000 about a U.S. government agency that smuggled out contraband (radio parts, etc.), into German POW camps and letters along with other information. The agency also helped Allied POWs escape.
The Loren E. Jackson manuscript "Epilogue to a War Story" documents Lieutenant Colonel Loren E. Jackson's experience as a prisoner of war when he was shot down during D-Day from his B-17 that he piloted with the 385th Bomb Group during World War II. His manuscript details his encounter with the German Gerhard Graf von Schwerin who he met in the 1960s after not seeing him since he was interrogated by him. Jackson recounts the conversation he had with General and touches on multiple subjects, such as German memory of war, behaviors of the Germans, morale, and the surrendering of Germany.
- Names: Stalag Luft III X
- World War, 1939-1945--Germany 5
- World War, 1939-1945 4
- B-17 bomber 3
- B-24 (Bomber) 3
- Prisoners of war 3
- Prisoners of war--Europe--Interviews 3
- Prisoners of war--Germany--History--20th century 3
- World War, 1939-1945--Prisoners and prisons, American 3
- United States--Army Air Forces--Aerial operations 2
- United States--Army Air Forces--Aerial operations--Personal narratives 2
- United States. Army Air Forces--Military life 2
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Italy 2
- World War, 1939-1945--Prisoners and prisons 2
- World War, 1939-1945--United States 2
- Air pilots, Military--United States 1
- Anti-Nazi movement--Germany 1
- B-29 (Bomber) 1
- Boise (Idaho) 1
- Ex-prisoners of war--United States--Biography 1
- Flight schools--United States. 1 + ∧ less
- United States. Army Air Forces 2
- United States. Army Air Forces. Bombardment Group, 384th 2
- United States. Army. European Theater of Operations 2
- Cittadini, Joseph L. 1
- Detloff, Gerhard, Graf von Schwerin, 1899-1980 1
- Feerick, James 1
- Gordy, Marion Leonard, 1917-2012 1
- Gordy, Paul, 1922-2016 1
- International Committee of the Red Cross. Central Agency for Prisoners of War 1
- Ivy, Edwin, 1918- 1
- Jackson, Loren E. 1
- Simler, Richard A. 1
- Stalag Luft I 1
- United States. Army 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 15th 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Air Force, 8th 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Bomb Group (H), 94th 1
- United States. Army Air Forces. Bombardment Group (H), 385th 1
- Walker, Everett 1 + ∧ less