Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
This collection follows Joseph T. Bannan as he served aboard the U.S.S. Panamint (AGC13). He was under the command of Admiral Arthur D. Struble. On this ship were photograph developers that obtained the picture of renowned wartime journalist, Ernie Pyle, lying dead on the island of Le Shima. Only two copies were ever made and the original was destroyed shortly after its creation to prevent a decline in American morale. This collection contains a photocopy of one of the original copies owned by Bannan.
This collection contains two oral histories; one with Dr. Philip Gilman, Jr. and one with James Izumizaki. It also includes the reprint of a letter by Pvt. Lavern Borg, Jr. written on April 2, 1945. The letter tells about his experiences with the 5th Marine Division of the U.S. Marine Corp in the battle of Iwo Jima. The next document includes a service record and medallist dated June 1967, January 1969, and August 1973. A pamphlet collected by the Pajaro Valley Arts Council, California entitled Nihen Bunka Japanese Culture: One hundred years in Pajaro Valley is also in the collection.
This collection relates to Ensign Madison D. Farnum, a staff member for the commander of the Amphibious Forces, U.S. Pacific Fleet during World War II. Farnum participated in the campaigns for Iwo Jima, Saipan, and Okinawa. Farnum was assigned on the Flagship USS Eldorado under Admiral R.K.Turner in the South Pacific Theater 1944-1945. The collection includes photographs, documents, and letters.
Kenneth D. Kelly served in the 78th US Naval Construction Battalion during World War II on New Caledonia, the Admiralty Islands, and on Okinawa. Included in his collection are a number of news articles related to the Seabees, his typed memoir, and a copy of the unit's battalion log.
This collection relates to Francis E. Ridgway who served as a Gunners Mate, Second Class, on the United States Naval Destroyer Ship U.S.S Ellyson. This collection contains 36 letters from Francis Ridgway to Ruth De Rosier and two letters from "Father Bill" to Ruth De Rosier. There is also a personal handwritten journal from Francis which documents his time aboard the Ellyson, and an Official Order for awards earned by Ridgway.
This collection relates to Todd Silverman who served in the U.S. Navy as a radio and radar operator on PBY and PBM flying boats in the Pacific Theater Operation during World War II. The collection contains an oral history transcript and photographs.
This collection relates to Eli Solomon who served as a Pharmacist's Mate 3rd Class and medic in the United States Navy on board the U.S.S. La Grange in the Pacific Theater during World War II. The collection contains an oral history transcript, photographs, letters, and documents.
- World War, 1939-1945 4
- Okinawa Island (Japan) 3
- United States. Navy--History--20th century 3
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Pacific Ocean 3
- World War, 1939-1945--Personal narratives, American 3
- World War, 1939-1945--United States 3
- Iwo Jima, Battle of, 1945 2
- Iwo Jima, Battle of, Japan, 1945 2
- Kamikaze airplanes 2
- Typhoons 2
- United States. Navy--History 2
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Pacific Area 2
- World War, 1939-1945--Pacific Area 2
- World War, 1939-1945--Veterans 2
- Admirals 1
- Admiralty Islands (Papua New Guinea) 1
- Aircraft carriers--United States 1
- Alameda Naval Air Station (Calif.) 1
- Antisemitism 1 ∧ less
- United States. Army. European Theater of Operations 2
- Bannan, Joseph T., 1925-2002 1
- Borg, Jane 1
- Chandeleur (Ship) 1
- Farnum, Madison D., 1917-2004 1
- Forrestal, James, 1892-1949 1
- Kelly, Kenneth D. 1
- Palace Hotel (San Francisco, Calif.) 1
- Panamint (Amphibious command ship) 1
- Pyle, Ernie, 1900-1945 1
- Ridgway, Francis E. 1
- Ritchie, Louella 1
- Schmidt, Alexander 1
- Silverman, Todd, 1925-2019 1
- Solomon, Eli 1
- Terror (Minelayer) 1
- United States--Armed Forces--Medical personnel 1
- United States. Army 1
- United States. Army Medical Department (1968- ) 1 ∧ less