Showing Collections: 1 - 14 of 14
17th-20th Century Correspondence and Documents
19th c. Florida Letters
Correspondence. This collection is comprised of various groups of letters about Florida, dating between 1837 and 1891 most of which deal primarily with land issues.
Chandler Holmes Smith Papers
Historical Newspaper Collection
The collection's two major groupings of papers are Antebellum and Civil War newspapers in OS Box 1 and Gilded Age, Progressive, and 20th century newspapers in OS Box 2. The majority of the papers are from the southern states in the United States. OS Box 3 is photostat copies of its contents.
Online Copies Available
Portions of this collection have been digitized can be found online in the FSU Digital Library.
Lieutenant Wheelock military application
This item is a manuscript application by T. B. Wheelock, 1st Lieutenant, Dragoons, Black Creek, Clay County, East Florida dated June 4, 1836, to the Hon. Lewis Cap, Secretary of War, Washington, D.C., in which he states that he has heard that a new Regiment of Dragoons is being formed, and "I beg leave to request to be considered a candidate for a captaincy." This application pertains to the Seminole War in Florida. The reverse side is stamped "Steam-Boat" and is post-marked Charleston, S.C., indicating that it was taken on board a river boat and transported to Charleston to connect with regular mail.
The papers consist of certificates of purchases of land, a certificate commissioning Scarborough as Captain of a volunteer infantry company, land deeds, Territorial Florida manuscripts, a picture of Mrs. M.L. Scarborough, newspapers and clippings, personal letters, reports of blankets, provisions, and clothing required by Floridians in prison at Fort Delaware, promissory notes, receipts, invoices, and a typed copy of "Express-Supplement", a letter to an unknown newspaper editor by William T. Gregory in 1860, pertaining to the proposed secession from the Union by Florida and other states.
Also known as MSS 0-179
Pine Hill Plantation Papers
Red Hills of Florida Collection
Roderick Kirkpatrick Shaw Estate Division of Slaves
Manuscript letter signed J. W. S. dated Marianna, Florida, October 30, 1851 to his sister, Miss Susan W. Sprague, care of S. U. Woodruff, Esq., Albany, New York.
St. Augustine papers: negro passes and permits
Weymouth Tyree Jordan Papers
This collection contains a wide variety of materials realted to Weymouth Tyree Jordan, his life and his career. Includes biographical materials, correspondence, articles, photographs, writings, research materials, announcements, books, and related materials.
The George Whitfield notebook contains records of transactions between 1859 and 1864 and as well as lists of slaves, tax lists, and receipts. It is revealing as to his character, general standing and financial responsibility.
Online Copy Available
- Civil War in Florida, 1861-1865 5
- Cotton 5
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 5
- Depression and the New Deal Years in Florida, 1930-1941 4
- Economics and Society: Post-Civil War Florida, 1865-1913 4
- Manuscripts 4
- Plantations--Southern States 4
- Territorial Florida, 1821-1845 4
- World War I, 1914-1918--Florida 4
- Contemporary Florida, 1960- 3
- Financial Records 3
- Formulas, recipes, etc. 3
- Gadsden County (Fla.) 3
- Leon County (Fla.) 3
- Plantations--Florida 3
- Slavery--United States 3
- The Florida Boom and Bust, 1919-1929 3
- The Post War Florida, 1945-1960 3 + ∧ less
- French 1
- Italian 1
- Alexander, George, Sir, 1858-1918 1
- Anderson, Bella 1
- Appleton, Nathan, 1843-1906 1
- Avant, David 1
- Bailey, William (William Alton) 1
- Barnett, Ronald David, 1943- 1
- Baya, J. (Joseph) 1
- Blitch, John 1
- Boughton, James M. 1
- Bowen, Clara Adger, 1837-1915 1
- Bradford family 1
- Campbell, George W. (George Washington), 1794-1869. 1
- Church of England. 1
- Confederate States of America 1
- Eppes Family 1
- Fabian, W. B. 1
- Florida Historical Society 1
- Florida State Capitol (Tallahassee, Fla.) 1
- Florida State University Libraries 1
- Florida State University. Department of History 1 + ∧ less