Showing Collections: 1 - 21 of 21
Select materials from this collection have been digitized and are available through the FSU Digital Library.
Scope and Contents
The 17th-20th Century Correspondence and Documents consists of letters, documents, and various forms of correspondence relating to notable names and celebrities from between 1618 and 1981.
Addresses delivered by former Florida Circuit Judge Ben C. Willis and an article written by Willis for the Florida Heritage Foundation News and Views. These materials are useful to researchers studying Tallahassee life during the 1930s. According to Lee Willis, these addresses were probably given at the Exchange Club in Tallahassee, which met at the Cherokee Hotel until it closed.
Includes MSS 2008-021.
This collection consists of two scrapbooks covering Tallahassee and Florida history for over a century, 1861-1961. The first scrapbook, "Chronology of Tallahassee and Florida History," consists of newspaper clippings and original documents including an aerial photograph of the Florida Capitol, the by-laws of the United Confederate Veterans, photographs of St. Johns Episcopal Church, and a pen and ink drawing of Wakulla Springs. The second scrapbook contains newspaper clippings and original documents such as inaugural programs. This second scrapbook deals with Florida governors, U.S. Presidents, and local Tallahassee history.
This collection consists of a diary of G. Frank Hatheway regarding his life and work, as well as examples of poetry, and a funeral announcement for his daughter, Julia. A scrapbook kept by Hatheway (originally MSS 0-138) is also part of the collection. The scrapbook contains a collection of poetry, clippings of historical interest, old prints, and pictures. The poetry is a mix of poetry Hatheway copied and original compisitions. A page of music in manuscript form, The Indian Maid, may be an original composition as well.
Items found in this collection include the personal papers of Guyte McCord, consisting of correspondence, records of the Tallahassee Historical Society, newspaper clippings, articles, and papers relating to Judge James B. Whitfield. Also included in the collection are the official programs of the inaugurations of five Florida governors, miscellaneous publications, and typescripts of manuscripts published in issues of "Tallahassee Historical Society Annual."
Also known as MSS 0-181.
This collection consists of an advance set of unbound sheets, including dust jacket, of Yesterday's Tallahassee, by Hampton Dunn. They are accompanied by a letter from Ernest A. Seeman, President of E. A. Seemann Publishing, Inc., of Miami, Florida, to Malcolm B. Johnson, Editor of the Tallahassee Democrat.
The Leon County Commissioners passed a resolution in 1958 to see what could be done to restore historic homes and buildings in Tallahassee, Florida. Governor Millard Caldwell served as Chairman of the Historic Homes Preservation Committee.
Collection of original and photocopied documents and newsclippings pertaining to John Tillinghast Archer and his wife, Mary S. Brown Archer. Includes letter from 1860 (?) from Decatur, Illinois to "Dear Brother," Dr. Limol Fletcher from Lavinia Williams.
Typed copies of letters and documents originating in Tallahassee, Leon County and Newnansville, Alachua County, Florida, and Paris, France pertain to land grants of General Lafayette and "grant land for the seat of government in the territory of Florida.
Correspondence, genealogical materials, newspaper clippings, photographs, and memorabilia pertaining to Ruby Diamond and the related Hirschberg and Williams families.
Photocopy of a letter from C. Browne, Tallahassee, to Levi Woodbury requesting a payment, with comments on the Union Bank.
Papers of William P. Slusser including receipts, payment orders, store accounts, a newspaper advertisement of public sale, and sales at auction on account.
Six letters written by William Wilson to his sister Lucretia Wilson Dutton (Mrs. Asa). Five of the letters are written from Tallahassee, Florida, and offer some interesting material about the area in the 1820s through early 1850s.