Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
William J. Arlet served with the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II. This collection includes photographs and documents related to William J. Arlet. This collection also includes captured Japanese photographs, which were acquired in 1943 on Guadacanal, Solomon Islands from a United States Marine who was about to deploy to his next assignment.
This collection relates to Ralph E. Herold who served in the United States Army as a Lieutenant Colonel and assigned to Headquarters in Kobe, Japan Base during the post war occupation. This collection contains news articles about Ralph E. Herold, training films, and various battles in World War II. There are photographs of Kobe, Japan and different radio equipment. There are also several booklets containing data about War time training films.
This collection relates to Tadako Knight, who was the wife of U.S. Navy veteran Willard Thomas Knight who served in the U.S. Navy from 1937 until 1958. This collection contains newspaper articles about Guadalcanal, personal letters in Japanese, newsletters, magazines, correspondence with Tallahassee resident and Guadalcanal veteran Harry Horsman, photocopies of photographs, and writings penned by Japanese and U.S. soldiers.
This collection relates to James M. Ryan who served as a 2nd Lieutenant Bombardier on a B-24 Bomber with the 866th Squadron, 494th Bombardment Group, stationed in Okinawa. Ryan's plane was shot down over Kyoto on July 28, 1945, and he was then imprisoned by the Japanese (declared missing in action by the United States). Ryan subsequently perished 500 feet from the epicenter of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, Japan on August 6, 1945. This collection contains photographs, letters, documents, and artifacts relating to the life, service, and death of James M. Ryan. His cased engraved purple heart medal is included in this collection.
- Language: Japanese X
- Guadalcanal Island (Solomon Islands), Battle of, 1942-1943 2
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Solomon Islands--Guadalcanal 2
- World War, 1939-1945--Japan 2
- Guadalcanal, Battle of, Solomon Islands, 1942-1943 1
- Japan--History, Military 1
- Japan--History--1945- 1
- Japan--History--Allied occupation, 1945-1952 1
- Japan--History--Allied occupation, 1945-1952--Personal narratives 1
- Japan--history, Gender 1
- Marines 1
- Photography, Military 1
- Radio--Transmitters and transmission. 1
- U.S. American Films 1
- War films -- United States -- History and criticism 1
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Pacific Area 1
- World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Pacific Ocean 1
- World War, 1939-1945--Naval operations, Japanese 1
- World War, 1939-1945--Pacific Area 1
- World War, 1939-1945--Pacific Ocean-- Naval operations, American 1
- World War, 1939-1945--Personal narratives 1 ∧ less
- French 1
- Arlet, William J., July 4, 1923-November 10, 2006 1
- Capra, Frank, 1897-1991 1
- Herold, Ralph E. 1
- Knight, Tadako, 1933- 1
- Knight, Willard Thomas, 1919-2016 1
- Ryan, James M., 1925-1945 1 ∧ less