Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Plantation owners--Florida--Jefferson County

 Subject
Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:

Bird and Ulmer Papers

 Collection — Box 138
Identifier: 01-MSS 1964-020
Scope and Contents The Bird and Ulmer papers consist of photocopies of correspondence, land deeds, tax papers, political and other speeches, resolutions, and papers pertaining to church, lodges, last will, accounts of executors of estates, reports of estate, division of land, and division of slaves with values assigned. These papers pertain chiefly to the plantations of Bunker Hill, Nacossa, and Freelawn, which flourished before the Civil War. The majority of the papers are dated from the 1850s through the late 1800s, although a handful are from the 1920s.

Also known as MSS 0-20.
Dates: Created: 1851-1922; Other: Date acquired: 10/30/1964

Hollingsworth Papers

 Collection — Box 513
Identifier: MSS 1968-140
Scope and Contents The Mount Vernon Plantation (the name was later changed to Pickney Hills) was located in Jefferson County about seven miles east of Monticello, Florida with a view overlooking "Razor Lake," so named by Mr. Hollingsworth because of its shape. The number of slaves listed, the livestock listed, records of sales of farm products, purchases of supplies, and descriptions of different parcels of land shown in the Last Will of John Hollingsworth indicate that Mount Vernon Plantation covered rather extensive acreage. The will also shows that he owned a home near Edgefield, South Carolina, which was situated on "about eleven hundred acres." The papers consist of...
Dates: Created: 1768-1887, 1916; Other: Majority of material found in 1788-1887

Ulysses B. Roach diaries and farm account records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: 01-MSS 76-20
Scope and Contents Photocopies and originals of 28 diaries written by plantation owner Ulysses B. Roach between 1890 and 1927. Property is in Jefferson County (Fla.). Photocopies and originals of two farm accounts from 1883-1885, 1888; and 1896. Specific locations for originals are listed under Collection Content. All other materials are duplicates.
Dates: Created: 1883-1927